viii | the beginning of the end

"the druid boy has already formed a connection with her — one that cannot be undone."

[1.8 — The Beginning of the End]

8 — The Beginning of the End]

Lia was enjoying her morning. After bringing Morgana her sleeping draught, she was invited to sit and join her and Gwen for breakfast. It was nice to sit and talk to them given that the apprentice had been rather busy lately.

"So, I saw that Sir Leon got you flowers the other day," Gwen noted, smiling mischievously at Lia.

Lia's cheeks heated up the slightest bit but she rolled her eyes. "They were just some daisies he picked on the way back from his last patrol," she told them. "It was nothing."

"He hand-picked them instead of buying them?" Morgana asked, unable to hide her grin.

"That's so romantic," Gwen said, sighing.

"Leon is nothing more than a friend," Lia assured them.

Morgana smirked at her. "I heard Arthur was on the patrol with him. How angry do you think he got when he found out who the flowers were for?"

Lia scoffed, but Gwen looked at Morgana, confused. "Why would Prince Arthur be angry? There's nothing wrong with a knight courting an apprentice."

"He is not courting me," Lia insisted, though she was ignored as Morgana continued to gossip.

"Oh, Gwen, I believe our Prince has a crush on sweet little Lia," Morgana revealed.

"Gana, you sound ridiculous," Lia said, ignoring the shocked look Gwen was giving her.

"Oh please, Gwen, just pay attention to Arthur whenever Lia enters the room. He can't take his eyes off her," Morgana said in a teasing tone.

"No, he doesn't. You're obviously making this up," Lia said, not letting herself believe her.

"I don't know. Morgana may be right," Gwen said, smiling. "I remember how he was when Lancelot was here. It didn't make sense as to why he was so mean to him initially, but now I see. Arthur must have been jealous of him."

Lia, whose entire face was red, was tired of being on the receiving end of their teasing smirks. "Morgana, did you know that Gwen kissed Merlin?"

Morgana gasped and turned to face Gwen, who was now looking at Lia with stunned, wide eyes. "Lia!" she hissed.

"Guinevere!" Morgana exclaimed. "When did this happen? You must tell me everything."

Gwen was now the one blushing and she shyly looked down at the table, avoiding eye contact. "It wasn't really a kiss. Just, when he almost died after drinking that poisoned cup for Arthur, I was so relieved that he was alive that I kissed him."

"When he was poisoned? But that was ages ago! Why am I only just hearing about this now?" Morgana complained.

"Maybe because literally nothing has come from it," Gwen mumbled. Lia could detect a bit of annoyance in the girl's tone.