xii | to kill the king

i don't super love this episode and therefore put minimal effort into it. sorry.

"losing your family is one of the worst things in the world. it is unfair that you are having to go through this."

[1.12 — To Kill the King]

It was rather late as Lia made her way back to the castle from the lower town

It was rather late as Lia made her way back to the castle from the lower town. She had been visiting the Wilson family, whose son, Marcus, had a cold. Gwen had mentioned it offhandedly earlier that morning, so once Lia was finished with her daily job, she made her way to their home with some medicine. The family hadn't asked for it, but Gwen had mentioned that they couldn't really afford it, so Lia thought she'd do them a favor.

Lia was always doing people favors like that it seemed, and the people of Camelot were beginning to notice. There were days where she'd show up on their doorstep with whatever remedy they found themselves in need of. The girl was far too kind to accept any form of payment when they offered. She'd always tell them it was payment enough to see them well. Though Lia did accept the slightly-crushed daisy that Marcus had rushed to grab from their kitchen table to give to her.

While softly humming a tune and looking down at the flower from the child, Lia walked down the mostly empty streets of Camelot. Things had been rather calm in the kingdom as of late. Lia rarely found herself stressing about Merlin exposing her magic. And Uther seemed to have finally stopped pestering Lia about her home — though she was sure it wouldn't be long before he grew curious once more. But at the moment, Lia could enjoy the peace. The only thing she had to worry about was helping people, which brought her so much joy.

Most everyone in Camelot was already in their homes, getting ready for bed if they weren't already asleep. Though Lia noted that Tom, Gwen's father, was still at work in his forge judging by the smoke escaping from the chimney. Tom always worked hard, doing his best to provide for Gwen. Lia thought about stopping and greeting him but decided against it since it was so late. She needed to get back to the castle anyway.

However, Lia paused when she noticed a group of guards and knights lead by Arthur headed in her direction. They weren't headed for her, of course, so she quickly stepped to the side. Though when Arthur spotted her in the dark he rushed to her side.

"What are you doing out here so late?" he whispered quietly.

Lia noticed the nervous look on his face and frowned. "I was just—"

"It's not safe," he said, deciding he didn't have time for a real answer. He glanced back at his men until he found the face he was searching for. "Leon, get her back to her chambers. Quickly."

Leon nodded and stepped out of the formation of knights. Lia didn't even have time to question Arthur's actions before Leon had turned her around and walked her towards the castle. She glanced over her shoulder just in time to see the group of guards heading to Tom's forge.