CH 40- Our First Barbeque

Nathan POV-

"Wow! You girls have really outdone yourselves." I say in awe, looking around my backyard. 

Candace, Lainey, and a few other football girlfriends have been running around my backyard all afternoon. The guys and I offered to help but once Kev, another guy on our team, accidentally broke one of the string lights, they shooed us away. We haven't been out to see it until now and I can honestly say I'm impressed. 

My giant backyard is covered in string lights, balloons, and streamers. There are a bunch of round tables circling a large dance floor, and a few longer ones for the food off to the side. Each table has a centerpiece full of flowers, pictures of players on the team, and cutout football gear. The large speakers are set up around the side and there is even a music suggestion box nearby. 

My favorite part though, is the 'memorial' behind the tables. The girls hung all of our jerseys up on a clothesline and beneath each is a poster board with tons of pictures, newspaper clippings, and quotes from us. I have no clue how they pulled this off in time, but it is amazing. 

"Thanks, Nate. It was really all Candace and Lainey, though. The rest of us were more just emotional support." Kev's girlfriend, Sally, says with a laugh. I look at my girl to see her and Candace blushing a deep red. 

"No way, everyone helped and we definitely couldn't have done it without y'all." My sweet angel says to the group. 

"Hey, Nate. People are starting to arrive. You should probably get Wyatt and start grilling." Keith yells at me from the backdoor. I give him a nod and go in search of Wyatt. 

15 minutes later, Wyatt and I are standing at the grill, watching everyone mingle around. Even though my backyard is crowded with my teammates, coaches, and their families, I have no trouble spotting my gorgeous blonde talking to a few of the guys. 

"You really love her huh?" Wyatt asks, making me look at him. 

"What?" I reply.

"Lainey." He says with a nod in the direction I was looking

"Oh. Ya man, I really do." I say, confused with why he's asking me. 

"That's good. She deserves someone to love her." Is all he replies with before he goes back to flipping burgers. Shaking my head, I follow suit and pull some of the done patties off the grill and onto a waiting plate. 

______________________

"So OC, are you ready for the game?" My coach asks me. 

"I was born ready Coach, I can't wait to go kick some cougar ass on Friday." I reply with enthusiasm. 

"I figured. I heard from a source of mine that there will be some scouts there. It's seeming like Alabama, Florida, Ohio State, and Georgia will be looking at you." He says with a hint of excitement in his voice. 

"Really? I mean I've exchanged a few emails with their coaches, but I didn't think anything would actually come of it." I say back, not bothering to hide the excitement in my own voice. 

"Well, they followed through. You play like you always do and I figure you'll have the pick of which school you want." He says, leaving me standing there when he is called over by another teammate. 

My pick of schools? I could get the chance to play at the highest ranked school in the nation. My dream since I was little was finally going to come true. 

Ya, if you don't fudge the game on Friday. 

Shoot, you're right. I have to play the best game ever. Gosh, talk about pressure.