Birthing the Monster

Some time has passed and Hera and Zeus exist once again in harmony. The golden baby continues to grow and learn happily. There is peace.

Until the day comes when Hera must face the consequences for her own indiscretion.

She is sitting alone again in the conservatory where she had fled on that fateful day, when her own baby burst from her thigh. There is a blinding light and then there a wailing scream comes from both baby and mother.

Unlike his sister, this baby is not surrounded by family at the time of his birth. He is born in shame. This shame is apparent by his disfigured appearance. His own mother screams at the sight of his face.

His skin is red and blistered as if burned and his little foot is black and crippled, it will obviously never support his weight.

If the baby was ashamed, it was nothing compared to the shame of its mother. How would she ever introduce this monster to her family? How would she explain?

How could this thing ever compare to her husband's beautiful Athena? The baby who was golden perfection and the singed excuse of a babe. A low chuckle escaped Hera's lips as she took in her baby.

She was familiar with the maternal feeling that she should have, she had given birth countless times before, but there was no feeling now. She hated this thing and she wished that she had never born it.

Another wind whistled through the courtyard and rustled Hera's hair. She knew what she had to do. She hid the baby underneath of her robe and walked quickly and quietly through the halls of the palace until she reached the large front door.

She had no second thoughts as she pushed the large door open with her shoulder and went outside. A storm was brewing and the dark sea at the base of Mt. Olympus was churning.

Hera bent as if to kiss her baby, but recoiled in disgust. She couldn't even do this.

"Hephaestus." She named the baby, and then threw him to the sea.