Chapter Sixty-Two: Okay, Close Your Eyes

"I'm glad you changed your mind and stayed with us for dinner," Jordan's mom told me as she sat down on the couch with the box of pizza. "And I'm just as glad that we finally turned off that stupid smoke alarm."

"Yeah, after hitting it with a hammer a couple of times," I said as I got myself a pizza.

Jordan snickered. "After setting off the alarm so many times, that seems like the only way to turn it off."

"So tell me about yourself, Naomi," she asked me. "What made you become friends with Jordan here?"

"We sit next to each other in chemistry," I answered.

"Hopefully he isn't too much trouble."

"He is," I admitted, getting a look of disbelief from Jordan, "but you get used to it after a while."

"I got some soda in the fridge, you guys want some?" She asked us as she rose from the couch.

I got up. "Let me get it for you."

She immediately plopped back down on the couch. "Thanks, I didn't want to get up anyway. I just wish Jordan is as considerate as you."

"I am-"

"-not," she finished as she pulled his ear, making him whine. "The moment I even say the word "dishes" you run away like it's a bomb."

"That's the Jordan I know," I said before heading to the kitchen.

I opened the refrigerator in search for the soda. All I saw were a couple of Styrofoam boxes probably filled with food among jugs of juice and milk.

"Ann, where's the soda?" I asked her.

"Oh, I put the soda in the freezer," her voice called out to me. "I just bought them and wanted it to get colder."

I opened the freezer and found a box of sodas next to some microwave food. I grabbed three cans for us before closing the door.

"While you're there, do you think you can get me some hot sauce? They're up in the pantry. I always like my pizza with some hot sauce."

"Alright," I said, now wanting some hot sauce on my own pizza. I set the cans on the counter before opening up the big cabinet.

My eyes searched up and down the cabinet, looking for the hot sauce. Though it was neat, there was too much stuff in the cabinet, so I can't find it at first glance.

"Have you found it?"

"Um..."

"I'll take it as a no," she said. "Here, let me just-"

"No, it's alright," I assured her. "Can you just describe where it is?"

"It's on the second shelf. I think it's behind one of the cereal boxes, next to the chips."

I moved some boxes over and found not one, but different bottles of hot sauce. I guess she really likes her hot sauce.

"Which one?"

She paused for a second then said, "The medium one."

"What color top is it?" I asked her, looking at the medium bottles of different colored tops. "Is it green, red-"

"It's the green one."

"Got it," I said, grabbing the bottle, and then coming back to them with everything.

"Sorry for the surprise scavenger hunt," she said in embarrassment. "Usually I'm good with the directions, especially taking out the colors because of Jordan's color-"