Comfort Me - Chapter 1

National City was never a quiet city, not really. With aliens mingling around, the average bad guy, and, every now and then, a supervillain trying to rule the world, it was never quiet. But lately, it seemed someone was advertising the city as a hotspot for villain internship. The last weeks had been plagued with constant attacks on the city, many directed to the general population, some with specific targets, with Supergirl leading the board with an apparent giant bulls-eye on her back.

Lena Luthor checked her phone for the nth time that day and sighed in frustration. Several unanswered calls and text messages blinked on the bright screen, demanding her immediate attention, but none was the one she was waiting for.

She'd hardly heard from Kara Danvers in the last month since the string of attacks on the city begun. Kara was her best friend - her only friend - and she was worried about her, especially because she knew her secret. She knew she was Supergirl, or at least had a strong suspicion about it, and the series of events of the last months only weighed on her suspicion. Kara never talked about it, always maintained that she was friends with Supergirl, hence the superhero's almost miraculous rescues of Lena. That was hard for Lena, to know that she trusted Kara implicitly, but the trust was not returned. Never had she felt the weight of her family's legacy as heavily as now.

She wanted to be in Kara's life, wanted to...

She set her phone aside and tried to refocus on her work. She still had several unanswered emails to reply to, many urgent, but she just couldn't concentrate, her thoughts always slipping back to the sunny blonde, the last image of her, on national television, fighting a very strong foe. She looked exhausted, even from afar.

Lena covered her face with both hands and rubbed her temples in frustration.

"Where are you, dammit?" she grumbled desperately.

The sound of the office door opening caught her attention and she straightened without looking at the door, staring blankly at her laptop instead.

"Jess, I thought I asked not to be disturbed."

"I'm sorry, I can come back later."

The sweet, soft voice that was definitely not her secretary made her head snap up in recognition.

"Kara..." she whispered, her heart thundering in her chest.

The huge smile that lit up her face slowly faded as she took in the exhaustion and paleness of her always perky friend.

Kara smiled tentatively at her. "Hi... I can come back later when you're not busy."

"No!" Lena shouted as she left her chair. She cleared her throat, self-conscious. "No, I always have time for you."

Kara dropped her eyes at that, truly ashamed, fidgeting with her fingers. "How can you say that?" she asked softly, her voice shaky. "I've been a terrible friend lately. Always canceling our plans, not talking to you..."

A hand gently stroking her face stopped her rambling, but she kept her eyes down.

"I know you've been busy, Kara, helping your sister with the victims of the attacks and your job." Lena stepped closer. "Are you all right, Kara?"

Kara swallowed and shook her head. 

"Do you want to talk about it?" Lena tried again, her voice gentling. Kara was definitely not all right.

Kara opened her mouth to speak, but no sound came out. She cleared her throat. "I-I need to ask something of you." a pause for what sounded to Lena almost like a shuddering breath. "Something I never asked anyone before. Ever."