Chapter 17

The Proposal

One may say modesty is a virtue, yet this author is hardly a virtuous woman. It is therefore my greatest pleasure to announce the news others questioned, but I never doubted.

Carlton House, London

"It will be the grandest wedding of the the year. Tulips enough to fill the great room and the finest silks. Only the best for Miss Bridgerton and my nephew," the Queen told her menservants with pride. Brimsley arrived to her side with the scandal sheet, and she took it immediately away from his hands. "The latest Whistledown? How does she report my triumph?"

The diamond of the season has made her match, officially betrothed to the Duke of Hastings.

The bride, undoubtedly, is giddy with anticipation over the impending nuptials...an event that will take place sooner rather than later.

Of course, there are only two reasons to procure a special license and race to the altar: true love, or concealing a scandal.

In that moment, the Prince Friedrich arrived in front of the Queen, with a smile on his face, a smile which slowly faded by the look on everyone's faces.

"Has something happened?" He asked in confusion.

And just in time, the Princess had just arrived on Snow from a very eventful morning.

"Your Royal Highness! You've finally arrived!" Fatima and Martin were waiting for her in front of Snow's barn door.

"Did anyone notice?" She asked as she hopped off Snow.

"No, Princess. Let's go to your room so you can take a bath, and have breakfast," Fatima said, and she sighed. "I'm afraid there is no time to sleep."

"Has my mother yet awakened?" She asked.

"As far as I know, she is just getting dressed," Fatima explained and the three quickly walked towards the Princess' room. Being cautious and avoiding being seen by anyone, specially not any of the Queen's ladies.

Inside the room were Cora and Lilia waiting for Charlotte and Fatima, while Martin stayed outside the door. The maids ripped the Princess off her dress and started the bath. Lilia and Cora giggled at the sight of the Princess asleep on the bath while Fatima washed her hair.

"What a great idea to put a pillow right where her head goes," Lilia chuckled. "Her Royal Highness is out like a light!"

"Lower your voice, or you'll wake her," Fatima whispered and glared at the two. Someone knocked on the door of the bathroom. "Cora, careful with her head. Imagine she is a baby."

Fatima went to see whatever was happening, while Lilia and Cora kept bathing her. Charlotte's bath lasted a bit longer than expected, due to her maids being gentle and careful not to wake her tired self. Fifteen minutes later, Fatima came back, panting a bit, but with a smile on her face.

"The Queen asks for her," she informed them and looked down at the Princess' numb body. "Did she faint?"

"No, but she does seem to have a bruise on her back," Lilia pointed at the spot. "Do you think she fell off Snow?"