fourteen

KISS ME GOODBYE, DEATHBYROMY

If Genesis had a favorite ex, it would be Liam 😌

My mother helps me dress into the pale pink dress she's chosen. She's dressed in a dress herself. A pretty dark blue one that stops on her knees. She looks beautiful. My grandparents from her side are coming to visit from Washington, DC, and having dinner with us tonight. Mommy brushes my dark brown hair.

"Mamí?" I say, looking at her through the mirror on the stool of her matching vanity.

"Si, cariño?" she replies.

"Does Daddy love me?" I ask, remembering back to the night in the basement.

"Of course he does, baby. Why do you ask?"

"Well, he only plays with Valentina," I complain.

"Baby, Daddy loves you both. Equally. And Marcos too." She kisses my cheek. I shriek, knowing she'll leave a lipstick stain. She laughs and I giggle with her. She was quiet after that.

Unknowingly, I planted a seed. It flourished. Tall and dark. My mother had already found out exactly why my father hung out with Valentina more than he did with me. Not even a month later, Valentina committed suicide. Or at least attempted on her life. A year later, my mother drove herself off a cliff.

Destruction spreads like wildfire.

It engulfs.

It smothers.

Until there's nothing left but ash.

I had worn a black dress that I had Marcos prepare for me last night. A tight number with a hem ending below my knees. It has elbow-length sleeves and a V-neck big enough to show some cleavage. It was something I'd probably wear to a funeral. The day after Matthew broke up with me, going to work today felt like one. After Marcos brought it forward, he climbed back into my bed until I could fall asleep. The boy is a blessing.