Surviving College

I kinda hate myself for writing this, but what can ya do. The idea has been in my brain since before I finished the first one and against all my better judgement. Here I am doing it now. It might just be a one-shot just to get it out of my system but we shall see I guess.

Zelena wrapped her arms around her shoulder's and pulled her close. "You behave yourself, Swan. I don't wanna have to come out there with Ruby and drag your ass out of any trouble," she joked.

Emma let out a soft bark of laughter, giving the redhead a firm squeeze. "I promise, Z." She pulled back. "You and Ruby better not stir up any more trouble either."

Zelena smiled. "Can't make any promises," she said with a wink.

When Emma's two best friends announced a week ago that they were going on a date, nobody was overly surprised. They'd been attached at the hip since Belle went back to Australia and she'd often wondered how long it would take the two girls to get together with the way they got on. She hoped it worked out for them - she'd hate for them to go back to hating each other for good this time after coming so far.

She looked up to make eye-contact with Regina who was hanging back, allowing her time to say her goodbyes to Zelena. They'd already had their night together but having to physically say goodbye to each other right this second was going to be difficult for them both. She reached out her hand and Regina took it without a second of hesitation.

They walked down to the end of the gravelled pathway in front of the Mayoral Mansion and Emma let out a soft sigh.

Today was the day, and she was so far from prepared for it.

She clung tightly to Regina's hand, staring into her warm cocoa eyes. This was what she wasn't prepared for - leaving her. Not that she was leaving per-say. The college she was attending was only a two-hour drive away and she would more than likely come home every other weekend just to spend time with her, but not seeing her every day was something she was definitely going to have to get used to.

Regina lifted her hand, placing a light kiss below the engagement ring that had been living on her left hand for the past few weeks.

Emma let out a soft sigh, sticking out her lower lip. "I'm gonna miss you, Gina."

The brunette chuckled, reaching up to tuck a strand of Emma's hair behind her ear. "I'll miss you too, baby," she whispered. "But you're not going that far and you know I'm always a phone call away if you need me."

Perhaps not always, but most of the time. She knew it wouldn't be fair to interrupt whilst she was at work, (even though she spent her entire senior year doing exactly that) and would likely try to avoid texting or calling during that time.

"What I'm really concerned about it whether or not this thing will get you there in one piece," Regina muttered, eyeing the car parked on the curb.

Emma rolled her eyes. "My Bug is perfectly capable, thank you very much," she muttered.

Regina let out a soft hum, seeming unconvinced that the slightly battered 1970 Volkswagen Beetle would even make it down the street rather than a hundred and twenty-seven miles.

"She's been running fine, Gina. Don't worry." She gave the older woman's hand a gentle squeeze, snapping her out of her thoughts.

The brunette looked up at her and smiled. "Okay." She leaned forward and pressed their lips together, cupping her cheek gently. She pulled back and rested her forehead against Emma's. "I love you."

Emma gave her hand another squeeze. "I love you too."

Regina ran her fingers through her blonde hair and Emma subconsciously leaned into the soft touch. "Text me when you get there so I know you're safe." Her eyes were slightly watery, Emma could tell that she was trying her best to hold back her tears.