✈︎

Chapter Seven

"If you love me let me go

"If you love me let me go."
-This Is Gospel-

✈︎✈︎✈︎

The knocking on the door drags Wilbur from his kitchen to answer. He slowly opens the door. Outside stands a rain soaked Vienna. Her blue hair sticking to her face and her clothes clinging to her frail figure.

He hadn't even noticed it had started to rain.

Wilbur had been nursing the stinging pain left in his chest with alcohol. Blocking out everything, looking at the world with tunnel vision. Only focusing on how to get rid of the pain.

Vienna's tears mix with the falling rain as she stares blankly past him. "I'm leaving," she says bluntly, avoiding looking at him. "I have to. You don't deserve this and I don't deserve you."

She's cut off by Wilbur speaking, "Don't do this." He steps out into the rain and she can hear the pain in his voice. His curls soon filled with rain that drips down his face. He doesn't even know if he's crying. The rain hides it.

"I'm holding you back, I'm a burden. I have to go." Vienna swallows the lump in her throat, her eyes stinging. She meets his eyes for a moment and she can see his heart shattering and the helplessness in them. She looks away again, staring at her feet. Looking at him would make it more painful then it already is. Vienna doesn't know if she could stop herself from running into his arms and promising him to stay.

"I'm sorry. Thank you for everything." Vienna isn't sure if the words even reach his ears. Wilbur seems to be a world away, completely  disassociated from the moment. He stares blankly at her.

Wilbur shoves the pain away, ignoring it. He notices her hand reaching out to touchand he quickly moves out of the way. Vienna looks hurt but he doesn't care. She understands why, but she wanted to touch him one last time.

Wilbur is hurting. This pain is nothing like anything he could imagine. It's as if he's being stabbed a thousand times in the heart. She slips away and disappears into the car again. He doesn't call out for her, doesn't beg for her to stay. Wilbur can't chase her any more. He has to let her go, she was right.

Vienna watches him stand in the rain as the car drives off. She isn't sure he long he stands frozen there after she had driven to far to see his figure in the dark weather. It's like he had grown roots attaching himself to the ground.

In those few weeks Wilbur had become her world. A beautiful world, her everything. But worlds end and this one came crashing down. Crumbling around them and going up in flames unable to be contained.

Wilbur deserves a better world. One without her in it to cause the fires. He has so much more to give and Vienna believes she was merely a crater in his path. A distraction only causing him pain.

Wilbur couldn't see his future without her in it but Vienna could. He has a whole universe to explore, not to be confined to a small world. The potential to be someone great and not held down by anything or anyone.

Vienna's heart hurts. She realizes just the she loves him. She loves him enough to let him go.
A small bittersweet smile appears on her lips as the airport draws nearer. Vienna pulls out her phone and sends him a final text before deleting his number.

I love you and I'm sorry. I knew this wouldn't last forever and I hope you can forgive me.

A/N
A shorter chapter to end act 1. Now act 2 will begin. It will mostly like be short (2-3 chapters) meaning this book is almost over.