Tonight We Can Dream

April 12, 2005

For Jaclyn she had imagined for years what it would be like to return, played the scenarios in the shower or before she went to bed, practicing what she would say to everyone. As one does of course.

Performing in London had been a different experience than performing in the other cities. Opening night had been the same, packed full of people appreciative of the art. Something came up so the royals hadn't been able to attend, but William called and explained maybe that it would be better for them to come see the show closing night.

"Maybe then we can sneak out to see each other without the press down our throats," he had said.

The implications vanished from her mind the second she got on stage the second night, and while she danced fine the energy attacking her from the audience was different. During the curtain call, and only during the curtain call, did she allow her eyes to scope the applauding people. The first several rows glittered with jewels, and scornful faces only just dusted by the stage lights. The people, apart of the aristocracy but not the family, tried to hide their attitudes but she saw through them.

They had come tonight in hopes she were some country creature with no grace and power. That the headlines in The Telegraph's review were false. The people who were forced to stay unbiased in their work reviewed her as dazzling saying, even if Webber had no technique you could watch her for her soul alone." Clearly these Lords and Ladies were disappointed to find there was some truth in that.

So she curtsied more and longer forcing them to clap the whole time. Maybe it was cruel, but in the theater she held the control. 

After the show she sat backstage plucking at the ribbons of her pointe shoes with her teeth like a chicken. Usually she would go up to the house, but tonight she wasn't in the mood for people glaring or gaping at her. She wasn't a bunny being pulled out of a hat for christs sakes, there was no need to memorize every detail about her so they could all go back and gossip to their friends. 

"Same Jaclyn, I see." The voice smacked her back to reality, and looking up there stood a small woman. Hair cropped at her shoulders in golden burnt curls, and eyes of fire warming Jaclyn up.

"Oh, Natania!" Jaclyn leapt up ignoring her shoe that was half off. It had almost been a full year since the last time they saw each other. The girls hugged each other, squeezing the other ferociously. "I'm so sorry I couldn't make it back sooner-"

"Stop it, you, your mom, and your new beau were enjoying Scotland. I couldn't force you off one of the few breaks you get each season." Smiling Natania leaned back into Jaclyn savoring the feeling because another week and she would lose it again.

"Oh, my new promotion gets me more than the other girls, but I've heard a rumor the company won't be promoting a new principal this summer. Apparently, they have their eyes on bringing someone in." Jaclyn nearly grasped Natania and beamed as if she were the sun, but reality was still there around her and she couldn't react so brashly.

"It's not for me," Jaclyn forced out.

But if it were for her could she even accept that spot? With everything going so well in Paris after fighting for it for so long?

"Speaking of Leo... When do I get to meet him?" Jaclyn asked, changing the subject completely.

Natania laughed, but didn't miss how her friend reacted to her news. "You've already met him, you went to school with him."

"But not as your boyfriend."

"The poor guy already had to meet Zara."

"Well, Zara's scarier than me."