Please step on me Jean

Y/n's pov

"I just needed to see you," he says.

"Well, you saw me," I laugh awkwardly going to close the door. "No need to worry."

"Can I come in?" he asks. "Please can you just let me come in?"

"You don't have to," I say. "It's messy."

"Y/n, I don't care about the mess," he says. "Please just let me in."

"If you want to hang out we can just go to the cafe or something," I say.

"I can see over your head," he pauses. "The boxes, is this what you were trying to hide?"

"I was gonna tell you," I say opening the door, it's pointless trying to hide it now. "Honest, I was."

"When?" he asks.

He didn't need to specify for me to know what he was referring to, it was glaringly obvious now.

"I found out the day my team won nationals," I say closing the door behind him, then making my way over to the living room. Although you could hardly call it that, it was more of a waiting room for the boxes to stay in.

"That was over two months ago," he says. "When are you leaving?"

"Soon," I say.

"When?" he asks again. "When are you leaving?"

"Did anyone tell you?" I ask.

"So you're saying that everybody else knew?" he asks.

Okay, so no one ratted me out.

"I didn't tell them," I say. "They just found out, I was gonna tell everyone at the same time."

"When are you leaving?" he asks.

"Tomorrow," I say. "We board the plane at ten am, we wanna get to the airport by eight."

"You're leaving tomorrow?" he asks, almost shocked. "When were you going to tell me then?"

"I was gonna tell you tomorrow," I say. "Right before I left, in the morning."

"Where are you going?" he asks.

"The states," I say. "California."

"That's so far away..." he pauses. "That's like a seventeen-hour time difference."

"I know," I say.

"How could you keep this from me?" he asks. "If I knew then we could've... Fuck, why didn't you tell me, Y/n?"

"I just wanted time," I say. "I just wanted time with you, time to spend with you, because I really... I just couldn't."

"We still would've had time, it would have been better," he says. "We'd have time to sort things out, work things out-"

"No," I say clenching my fist. "No I just wanted to pretend like everything would be the same, but it's not."

"Y/n no, don't say that," he says. "Don't say that, we can make it work. Don't say stupid things."

The thing is, I'm not being totally unreasonable here.

"It's not stupid," I say. "I know that you can at least try to understand where I'm coming from."

"No Y/n I can't," he says. "I don't understand you."

"We'll be in different schools, cities, prefectures, countries," I say. "We'll be in different worlds Kei, it's not the same."

"It can be the same," he says. "It will be the same."

I wish it could be, but that's what a naive person would think, that's what I thought.

"I can't Kei," I say. "It should have to be, I don't want it to be, but that's how it has to be."

"No it doesn't," he says.

"It's not fair to you," I say. "It's not fair to you, it's not fair."

"It's not fair to me either," he says.

"It will make sense later," I mumble.

It's better this way, I don't want to be a burden to anyone anymore.

"It won't make sense," he says. "Are you really, do you mean it?"

"It's better," I say nodding my head.

It has to be, there's nothing else I can do. It's not fair, it's not fair to hold on to him, I can't keep him forever, he's not mine, and it's selfish. But I just want to be selfish for a little bit longer, just a second before it's all gone, just one last hug, one last kiss, one last touch.

Get your tissues and your popcorn guys.

-Crouton