Comfort Me Chapter 2

It was late, the moon already high in the sky, when the sound of a heavy crash came from the balcony, making Lena jump in her chair. She turned around, wide-eyed, but saw nothing, saw no one. Silently, while keeping her eyes focused outside, she fetched her taser gun from inside her purse.

I really should call security, she thought as she walked slowly outside, but what if there was nothing outside? They would think she was crazy. But what if there was? What would she do then?

Lena opened the door carefully and peered outside, the taser falling from her suddenly nerveless fingers to the floor with a loud clatter. On the far end of her balcony was an unmoving messy bundle of red, blue, and blonde.

"Kara..." Kara's name slipped in a fearful whisper and she stood rooted to the floor for what seemed like forever. Was Kara dead? Was she?...

A low moan brought her back to reality and Lena rushed to Kara's side. "Supergirl!"

Lena knelt by her side and slowly turned the superhero towards her, her breath catching in her throat at the sight of her. "Y-you're bleeding..." Lena whispered, her clear eyes wide with worry and fear.

Kara was bleeding from a cut on her forehead. Another, just beneath her left eye, bled profusely, leaving a trail of red down her cheek and neck; her bottom lip was cut and swollen, and everywhere that wasn't covered by her special suit, was covered in cuts and bruises, and scraps.

Kara cracked dazed blue eyes open. "Miss Luthor..."

"I need to call for help! Who do I call? You..."

"Lena," Kara's voice sounded a little stronger this time, but Lena could see the effort it took the superhero just to utter her name. "Help me sit... Please..."

Kara's apparent calmness finally seemed to cut through Lena's almost state of panic. She had never felt this way before, so at loss. She took a deep breath and closed her eyes briefly. When she opened them again, she was in CEO mode - the part of her that just took control and lead, and worried about consequences and feelings later. Much later.

"We need to get you inside first, away from prying eyes."

Before Kara could protest, Lena carefully helped her to a sitting position and then slipped Supergirl's arm around her shoulders. Kara groaned in pain and Lena's heart clenched. Focus, Luthor. "I know it hurts, but I have to get you inside."

"I'm heavy..." Kara let out with a gasp of pain.

Lena braced herself and slowly, steadily, pushed them both up. Kara stared dazedly at her, eyebrows raised, her pain momentarily forgotten.

"I CrossFit." Lena gave the surprised alien a smug, lopsided grin.

"Aren't you full of surprises..." Kara muttered, biting her lip to keep from screaming at the sharp pain in her side - she suspected her ribs were broken -, only to remember her lip, too, was hurt. She gasped involuntarily.

"I aim never to be predictable, Supergirl," Lena said, keeping her tone light as she guided the injured woman inside her office, supporting most of her weight. She was indeed heavier than most women she'd met, but nothing she couldn't handle, even in heels.

Kara wanted to reply that she was anything but predictable, that she surprised her every time they met, but the pain ripping through her body was becoming annoyingly overwhelming. Her suit protected her from most attempts to inflict serious injury but being momentarily powerless meant the body inside was exposed to a kind of damage she couldn't control.

Lena maneuvered the injured superhero onto her couch and helped her lie down as gently as possible. Kara groaned, not hiding the grimace of pain as Lena pulled her legs onto the couch.