22: 4th first

"𝐖𝐞 𝐛𝐨𝐭𝐡 𝐭𝐫𝐢𝐞𝐝 𝐭𝐨 𝐝𝐨 𝐰𝐡𝐚𝐭 𝐰𝐚𝐬 𝐛𝐞𝐬𝐭 𝐟𝐨𝐫 𝐞𝐚𝐜𝐡 𝐨𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐫,"

~🌙 ~

Eun Hyerin

"I'll have the batchoy and a large coke, please," 

The waiter took my order down and waited for Sunghoon to answer. He ended up getting the same thing with a slice of chocolate cake. After skating, we went to a nearby restaurant for some food. It was nice and not too fancy. It really showed the culture of the Philippines with its decor and local menu. Sunghoon really enjoyed learning about the place - not that I was local. Yes, I'd been here for a few months, but it wasn't nearly enough to call me Filipino. 

We ate our food rather quickly and silently. Skating really did take the energy out of you especially after almost getting squashed. The silence wasn't awkward, it was peaceful. I was concerned though. Sunghoon seemed so excited at the start of the afternoon and now he was barely speaking. Did I say something wrong? 

My mind spun with a million questions. He smiled at me like normal: a handsome, charismatic smile that I loved to see. He wasn't the same anymore. It wasn't until we shared his cake that I finally reached the peak of my curiosity.

"So, what's going on? I can tell something is bothering you," I pondered. He looked up at me and for a second I saw his 'I've been caught' face. Him being him, he shoved it off and plastered on his signature smile. As glad as I was to see it, the fact he was pretending only hurt me more. 

"Please, Sunghoon. We've been together all day. The least you could do is tell me what you're thinking," I pleaded. He sighed and leant back in his chair. He ran his fingers through his hair a few times and looked away as if putting together words in his head. A minute passed before he finally came to say something.

"I like you," 

I let out a light gasp, dropping my fork on the table in the process. Was I shocked? No. Was I confused? Very. He wouldn't have asked me on a date if he didn't like me, but why didn't he look pleased with his statement?

"But?"

"What do you mean but?"

"You like me. Okay - but what else?" I tried to coerce him into telling me the truth and it was clearly proving difficult. He was like an oyster sat at the bottom of the sea who hadn't been opened for how many years. The only difference is that I feared there wasn't a pearl inside. 

"Fine. I like you, but I don't think a relationship is good for you," he stated with a straight face. His eyes scanned my expression which was as blank as his own. A mirror sat between us.

"You don't know what is good for me," 

"Hyerin, I've talked to you the whole day and all you think about is your father's business," he seemed frustrated as the seconds passed.