2 - Falling?

[Edited]

Vampire Mates

2: Falling?

Grunting and wheezing, I collapsed onto the sofa, both my hands clutching onto my stomach as I moaned in pain. "Oh my God, being a girl sucks!" I groaned to nobody in particular as I hissed in pain. I rolled onto my back, still holding my stomach as I closed my eyes.

As I rambled on about the cons of being a female (pregnancy, inequality, etc.), someone coughed behind me as my eyes widened in shock. I turned around. Demetri stood there awkwardly by the living room's doorframe. Who the hell let him in here?

"You should probably get used to that," Dana giggled like a silly school girl while wrapping her arms around Demetri's waist. She looked up at him through her long and thick eyelashes. "She talks much more at home."

I rolled my eyes at Dana's comment and got up. Ignoring the pain that was throbbing in my stomach, I placed my iPod by the dock and clicked on shuffle. A soft, ballad melody came on immediately.

"I'm cooking guys!" I called. I turned over to Demetri, awkwardly moving to the countertop as I shuffled from one foot to the other.

"Um, are you staying for dinner, Demetri?" I asked, pursing my lips. We had a table for five in the kitchen — our apartment isn't exactly very big, everything is multi-purposed — and since Grey and Alex are going out for a candlelit dinner, we had space for 2 more.

"Yeah, I'm staying for the night!" He called back. I nodded and bobbed my head to the music while getting four salad bowls for tonight's appetizer — chicken Caesar salad.

Demetri's Point of View

I surveyed the apartment, my arm slung casually over Dana's shoulder, around her neck. She leaned over to rest her head on my broad shoulders. No, it wasn't in a couple-ish way. It was more in a friendly manner. Well, to me, at least.

But, judging on the way she was batting her eyelashes at me for 100 times per minute, I'm thinking I'm giving her the wrong idea.

"And that is us during the summer between freshman year and sophomore. We did a small field trip to South California." Dana smiled at the thought, pointing at a picture that hung nicely on the blue wall.

I took a swift glance at the picture but stopped when I saw Lily. A tall lanky guy stood behind her, wrapping his arms around her bare stomach, since she was in a bikini. It wasn't exactly a skimpy two-piece like the one Dana had been wearing. It was decent, covered her chest and midriff.

I hissed in anger and jealousy while I spoke, "Who is he?" It was normal for a vampire to be jealous when their mates are with some other guy. But Dana who seemed oblivious about it was looking like she was debating whether to tell or not.

"He's Lily's ex," She finally whispered. "We don't mention much about him now. He's kind of taboo."

"Why's that?" I asked curiously, eyeing the all-American guy. He looked muscular, like he played football.

Well, I played soccer... around 200 years ago...

"He... he died in a car crash. Lily almost committed suicide because of that. So she's putting a wall around her heart and her guard up since then. It's really, really hard for her to like, let alone love, again." Dana whispered pitifully, resting her head on my shoulder.

We stared at the picture silently, none of us knowing what to do, or what to say.

"There you are guys!" Her angel-like voice called, breaking the tense silence. I turned around and saw a frozen Lily who was staring at my hand, which is now wrapped around Dana's waist comfortingly and in a soothing way. She gulped nervously as hurt flashed before her eyes.