» 137 «

Surprisingly, I came to terms with the fact of having to go back to Malfoy Manor for two weeks rather easily.

Even Draco admitted he expected a bit more of turmoil regarding the subject. I wouldn't say he was pleasantly surprised, but he was surprised, nonetheless.

I wasn't quite sure where the sudden contentment with going back there came from. After all, I had nothing but awful memories in that house.

Maybe, subconsciously, knowing what I knew about Snape now made me feel safer, in a way. If he truly, well, loved my mother, there must be a shred of something within him that made him care. Even if it was simply because I had her facial features.

The concept was still odd to me, and I swallowed thickly at the thought before I shoved a piece of toast in my mouth.

Apart from that; if I truly was as important as Dumbledore had concluded, and Snape truly was on our side, he wouldn't-- couldn't let anything happen to me.

Though, he did nothing when I was being tortured, I remembered.

My heavy sigh caught Wren's attention, and she quirked an eyebrow before putting a hand on my back in a reassuring manner.

My head snapped over to her at the touch, and I forced a small smile onto my lips. "It makes sense you don't want to go home for the holidays," I began, hoping the topic would distract from my foul mood. "But I don't understand why you're not staying with Luna?"

She snickered absently, turning on her seat to throw a look over to her girlfriend's table. She sighed, then, shaking her head slowly.

"I'd ruin the whole thing for her," Wren muttered, seeming as if she wanted nothing more than to actually go with her. "She's been worrying about her father, with the Quibbler and what they publish and all that. And she was so excited to spend time with him. Me glooming around, wondering why I don't have the relationship with my mother that she has with her father-" Her eyes glazed over, her mind clearly somewhere else for a moment. "-It would be selfish. She deserves to spend some uninterrupted time with him, I guess."

Her mood lightened up just the smallest bit, nodding to herself at her own thoughts. "I can annoy her as much as I want when she comes back, anyway." She smiled softly. Knowing her, she was probably already looking forward to that, and Luna hadn't even left yet. "And besides, absence makes the heart grow fonder, right?"

I hummed lowly in agreement, though didn't say anything else.

Wren cleared her throat, eyes falling back on me. "What I still don't understand is why you aren't staying, too," She mumbled, a mouth full of food keeping her from properly annunciating her words.

I hated this topic of conversation more than anything. Because every time it came up, it meant I had to lie to her. Telling her I had to go back to Malfoy Manor because I was actually their prisoner and they tortured me in the summer wasn't really something I could just drop.

It never seemed like I found the right moment for it.

I was probably too much of a coward to try and find one, in the first place.

"I'm staying with-"

"-The Weasley's." She quickly interrupted, waving my pathetic excuse of a lie off.

It was the first thing that came to mind when she asked me that one evening, and after it first slipped out, I couldn't really take it back anymore. So I just ran with it.

She'd been suspicious about it ever since.

"Yes, as you've said," She went on. "But you don't like the Weasley's."