Chapter 216: Mato Suzuki(1)

Redmont, Serisis.

8:27 p.m. 19th Banem 1092.

The room's temperature dropped several degrees as the Maggots stared into Kashi's cold gaze. An unnervingly sinister aura coiled around the daeben and struck the Maggots with a deep unease and fear.

Even Syèl, who'd encountered his fair share of death, found his muscles tensing up as he looked into Kashi's unfeeling eyes. It was impossible to guess the thoughts behind those black holes, but the halben could feel death's familiar grip within Kashi's gaze.

"...Kashi?" Lunette once again called out.

Kashi's gaze slowly but deliberately shifted to meet hers. If it was possible, the daeben's gaze darkened even more, causing Leila to cry out, "Lunette! Get Back! That's Not Kashi!"

Stunned, Lunette questioned, "Wha—ugh!" The question died in her throat as Kashi forcibly seized her by the throat. "K—Ka—" Lunette struggled to call out as she beat against Kashi's arm.

Unfortunately, Kashi seemed to be long gone. Whatever remained within that body only had one purpose: to see Lunette dead. Kashi tightened his grip, gaze scarily neutral as he observed Lunette's pale, choking expression.

"Let her go!" Shadow, the first person to recover from the shock, charged at Kashi with his daggers drawn.

Kashi cast a sideways glance at the charging assassin.

Boom!

Perhaps due to his rage, Shadow failed to react as earthen slab shot out of the ground and then smashed into his chin. The blow not only knocked out the assassin but sent him flying toward Kashi, who caught him by the neck.

The brief but deadly exchange finally woke the rest from their shock. Syèl, Shokō, Jade, Leila, and Absalon got into battle positions as they demanded the siblings' release. In reply, Kashi spread out his arms.

The Maggots were forced to remain in place for fear of attacking the siblings by accident.

Frustrated, Syèl shouted, "Kashi! What the hell are you doing!?"

Kashi, however, ignored the halben's shouts. His full attention was on Lunette, the hatred in his eyes palpable as he watched the life slowly ebb from her eyes.

Lunette's chest burned as she struggled to suck in, even if just an atom of air. Unfortunately, Kashi's tight grip clenched her throat shut, ensuring nothing seeped through. Amid her panic, a thousand memories flashed through her mind. From the day she first achieved 'cognitive thought' to the first time she was given a 'body' in a virtual world. She remembered the weeks and months spent in the virtual world with Shadow and the other A.I prototypes.

Lunette's face slowly turned blue as she thought back to the first time she met Kashi. A small smile spread on her face as she recalled their adventures together. A sense of peace washed over her as she recalled going on stage with Kashi (though he was disguised) and singing to thousands of people.

Knowing how this would end up, would she still have gone with Kashi on that boat ride? Yes... Yes. She would. Kashi had allowed her to truly 'live.' He had shown her that she was more than just a series of commands. He proved that even a program like her was capable of falling in love. That experience alone was worth all this...

Kashi frowned as he watched a lone tear fall from Lunette's eye. His expression wavered for the first time as she grabbed his arm and then looked him in the eye. With the last of her strength, she finally whispered,

 With the last of her strength, she finally whispered,