Chapter 226: Boss Man's Stats

"What did I do?" Kashi stared at the raging Nornesh, wondering what had gotten into the proud dragon. What did Nornesh have to be angry about? Kashi was the one who got killed. He was about to repeat the question when he spotted Syèl laughing at pointing at the ground. Kashi suddenly felt terrible foreboding. The daeben swallowed hard and then looked around him.

Kashi instantly groaned. Just as he feared, the mana pool no longer existed. Yggdrasil sucked up everything, not sparing a single drop. Now, Kashi understood Nornesh's rage. Pulling up, taming, and then maintaining this violent mana could not have been easy. Anyone would be pissed if a guest came in and cleared out their fridge and storeroom.

A thousand thoughts ran through Kashi's head at once, until his eyes shone with mischief. Kashi met Nornesh's gaze and then said, "So, I guess I won, right?"

Nornesh froze for a moment, in disbelief of his own ears. Suddenly, the flames on his hands turned black as they flared up. "WHAT DID YOU SAY!?"

Kashi winced as the flames burned his chest. Damn, now it was apparent Nornesh had gone easy on them. If the dragon had used these black flames from the start, neither Kashi nor Syèl would have survived. Contrary to expectations, Kashi's expression remained neutral despite staring death in the face. Instead, he curled his lips as he said, "I won. We bet that I could survive for three hours in here." Looking around, the daeben chuckled, "But there's no more mana in this pool. I can remain here for the remainder of the time if you want. But either way, that favor is already mine." Nornesh opened his mouth, but Kashi interrupted, "My favor is that you let this go." The daeben then added with a shit-eating grin, "I suppose that leaves me with only one favor."

Nornesh's eyes burned. "You!"

"Let it go, man," Syèl called from behind. "Old ginger might be the spiciest, but the student will eventually surpass the master." Shrugging, he added, "He's got you on a technicality. You gotta let him go."

Nornesh glared at Syèl, but the halben only responded with a helpless shrug. His eyes said, 'Don't blame me, chief. Blame the game.' Even though Nornesh would have loved nothing more than to snap Kashi's neck, he was honor-bound to respect his rules.

Thus, Nornesh, after a long, internal debate, freed Kashi and then turned to Syèl. The essence blood floated in his hand as he spat with a spiteful grin, "Nothing says I have to give you th—"

"[Dawn Pelmut]"

Nornesh's jaw dropped to the floor, stunned silly by Syèl's audacity. He was so shocked that he failed to react until the Essence Blood was dancing on Syèl's palm. "You!" Nornesh exploded with rage. "You dare steal fr—" *Cough* Kashi's sudden cough caused chills to run up the dragon's spine. He looked at the daeben, shock in his eyes. "You wouldn't."

Kashi, however, replied with a smile, "A few hours ago, maybe not. Now, though, I do not intend to rely on external power, so..." Glancing at Syèl, he said, "My last favor. I ask that you overlook Syèl's slight."

Nornesh regarded Kashi with disbelief. "You would waste an Elder Dragon's favors this way?"

"Is it really a waste if you appreciate the reason you wasted something?" retorted Kashi with a profound smile. He then said, "So, will you grant me this final favor?"

"Heh." Nornesh's maw twitched but then spread in exaggerated laughter. "He-hahahahaha!" The dragon's laughter turned increased as he bent his head backward. Eventually, after a short while, and a few tears later, Nornesh clamped his right hand on Kashi's shoulder. "Good Kid. I like you." He then glanced at Syèl and added, "Your friend, not so much. Are you certain you do not wish to swap out your favour to killing him?"