Chapter 227: Rex

Undisclosed Location

00:30 a.m. 22nd Banem 1092.

"To think you would complete the pact in two days."

The Sword Spirit looked at the youth sprawled on the ground with a large egg tightly clutched to his chest. Despite itself, a smile tugged at the edge of its lips. "Since you passed this stage successfully, I suppose it is time."

Hektor panted heavily, unwilling to move an inch of his body. His bones and muscles ached like he'd been massaged with a mallet. Strangely though, he wore a broad smile despite the pain and fatigue. Why? Because he could feel the power thrumming in his blood. It was unlike anything he had felt in his life! "...Time for what?"

Crack!

A tiny crack answered that question. To the sensitive Hektor, that crack was akin to the angry peal of a thunderbolt! The youth instantly sat up, red eyes glaring at the egg in his hands. Crack! As expected, he did not hallucinate the sound! A small crack did indeed appear on the shell!

Seconds passed. Hektor attentively watched as the slowly increased. He could sense the anger frustration of the baby within as it struggled to push the tough shell out of its way. Hektor swallowed hard, and, affected by the baby's mood, could not help but tense up.

"Ease up!" The Sword Spirit ordered. It looked at the egg, a trace of anticipation evident in once empty eyes. "You are emotionally connected to that dragon. If you panic, it will panic too. You need to soothe it. Let it believe in its strength."

Hektor stiffened but then nodded and relaxed his nerves. He sighed to release his frustrations and then began to coo at the egg. "You can do it, little one. Do your best." As Hektor soothed the baby, he was taken back to his childhood. His father would watch over his sword practice with a stern but kind gaze. Mother would come over with a snack from Madam Guchu's pastry shop when the sun was at its highest. She would praise him, saying he would definitely surpass his father one day.

Yes. This was before the war brought the bandits to Hektor's home. Before his parents perished protecting him. This was before an angry six-year-old child joined the army searching for revenge, thanks to a large body that convinced the quartermaster he was twice his age.

Hektor swallowed in an attempt to push down the sorrow bubbling up his throat. Suddenly, he felt something warm in his heart and mind. It was like a warm fireplace on a cold and snowy night. Almost like someone was trying to make him feel better. Hektor rapidly blinked as he looked at the egg. 'Could it be?'

CRACK!

As if to confirm his thoughts, a small, silver head broke out of the shell. The little reptilian cried out both in joy and frustration as the rest of its body broke past the restricting eggshell. A pair of tiny, furled wings broke through as the dragon stumbled on four, short, stubby legs.

"Gotcha, big guy." Hektor gently caught the dragon before it fell over. The beast sniffed his hand in curiosity. Pleased with the scent, it purred and then rubbed its head against the young man's hand. "Heh. You're a cute one, ain'tcha?"

The dragon raised its head. "RAAAR!"

Hektor almost burst out laughing. The little dragon was already trying to establish its dominant pride. Unfortunately, its roar was closer to a baby chick's chirp than anything else. Hektor pet the dragon's head. "Don't worry. We'll work on that. By the way, aren't you hungry? What kind of food do baby dragons eat?"

At the mention of food, the baby dragon immediately raised its head and sniffed the air. Its nose caught the eggshells, and it struggled out of Hektor's grasp. The dragon waddled over to the shells and then revealed a set of razor-sharp teeth, which it used to crunch down on the shell.