Chapter 233: Sonic and Sayen

Jatakem, Imperium.

7:45 a.m. 27th Banem 1092.

25 Days to World's End.

Jatakem, the Holy City of Imperium. This ancient city was one of very few that had survived the passing of time, existing even from before the Calamity. The famous city's name stemmed from the innate belief that nothing evil could prosper within its walls. Over the years, countless evildoers fashioned designs for this land. However, their ploys were often thwarted before they could come to fruition.

Many residents claimed a goddess walked amongst them. This goddess destroyed evil as she had placed the city under her protection. Many others argued that this was false. Nothing but a pipe dream. These people did not believe in the goddess's power and firmly believed that Jatakem's strength came from the sweat of its people's brows.

These conflicting ideas resulted in the creation of two major factions in Jatakem. The goddess faction, led by a famous priest, and the hume faction, led by the 'regent.'

Jatakem, unlike most cities, did not have a royal family. They, instead, boasted a parliament, which created and passed laws for the populace. The 'de-facto' leader and judge of this parliament was known as the Regent. The Regent would have been the most powerful man in Jatakem were it not for the Stargazers.

The Stargazers was led by a community of astrologers famous for reading people's possible futures through studying the stars. The priests often helped citizens avoid danger and make important life choices. As a result, Jatakem's citizens respected the parliaments' laws, but they loved the Stargazers.

The parliament, led by the Regent, hated the Stargazers. Their desire to destroy the organization and consolidate Jatakem's powers often caused small scale battles behind the scenes.

The Summoned were not spared from this conflict. These two superpowers sought soldiers, both for protection and to attack their enemies should the need arise. As a result, it only made sense that the Summoned were snapped up by a faction almost as soon as they first entered the land.

Kraaaa!

A griffin's piercing cry tore through the morning sky. Residents and Summoned alike stopped whatever they were doing to look at the procession that descended from the skies.

A flock of armored griffins flew overhead, making a beeline for the Grand Temple. Griffins were beasts with the head and wings of an eagle, and the body of a lion, save for a pair of talons where its front paws should have been.

"It's them, right?" An old cobbler muttered as he admired the procession. Flying was forbidden within the city. Only a select few people were permitted to break that rule. Even fewer had access to griffins. The old cobbler's eyes sparkled when he spotted a blue-furred kafu leading the procession. "Heh. As always, he's got a branch in his mouth."

The kafu, Sonic, leisurely chewed on a leaf stalk as he admired the city beneath. During his time, Sonic had visited many cities in Destia. Unfortunately, none came close to catching the Edo period vibes like this city did. From the wide and dusty but clean streets to the tatami floor buildings and architecture.

Sonic especially appreciated the abundance of kimonos and haori worn by both Summoned and Residents. Naturally, these basic designs were heavily altered to suit battles and new-age fashion, but the underlying concept remained the same.

"Uwah... There's even more samurai's than last time."

Sonic looked at the man who covered his mouth as he exclaimed in shock. The man, a brunette chesch, adjusted a pair of glasses as he smirked at the folks below. "Can you blame them? There're more sword dojos than grains of sand in this city, Gentle Breeze."