Chapter 25

^listen to that WHILST reading the first part lmao
enjoy....
-Reece
•👻•

"Well it sounds to me, that you're back to square one." Roman said as we both sat on the curb out side of the club listening to the muffled music.

We got back from my cabin two weeks ago and I've never been more stressed. I've got everyone working triple time to find the stupid fucking disk.

I scoffed and brought the cigarette to my mouth. I stilled, resting the filter against my lips, "Trust me... I already fucking know." I drawled before taking a long needed drag.

I allowed the smoke to calm the constant anger, and smooth the disappointment with myself.

Much like how I've gone back to smoking, Harley has been racing more frequently. She's been going at least twice daily for the past two weeks to relieve her stress; almost like it's her only escape.

Today Harley decided to go out after her and Roman's race. She made the argument that we 'deserved a fucking break from the relentless searching'. Although It doesn't feel like a break, it feels like I'm wasting time. But I was dragged here.

Roman offered to help us find the disk. At first I was sceptical—I didn't know him well enough. But he told me about the people he knew and how he could try and help. I believed him, so I told him what we knew; which wasn't much.

Cars sped past us, sending gusts of the crisp, night air into us from where we sat. I rested my hand on the cold pavement and leaned my weight back.

I felt hopeless. And I hated it.

I wasn't about to give up, but it was like we weren't getting anywhere with this fucking disk.

Everyone thinks we have it, so I've been receiving death threats left right and centre. One that really threw me off, didn't look much like a threat. It was an invitation to a ball. The Italian's ball in celebration of Antonio Giovanni's 50th.

As if the leader of the Italian mafia would want us at his birthday ball to 'Create new alliances'.

I had a feeling Leonardo was behind the invite but I haven't had an opportunity to ask him. After we got back a week ago he went off the grid, not that I miss him, but I expected some help. But whatever, he's never had any loyalty and there's no changing that after a hand shake.

"I asked around," Roman said after a moment, "but as expected, no one knows anything."

I nodded gravely, "As expected..." I repeated.

Looking up at the dark sky where clouds began to gather, I took another drag and blew out the smoke, "How's-" it took me a second to remember her name, "Willow?"

A smile grew on his face, "She's good."

"And your wife?"

"Girlfriend. But she's good too."

"I'm glad... At least your life isn't a fucking mess." I said making Roman chuckle.

I felt a few drops of water land on my hand behind me, "It's gonna rain." I said flicking my cigarette into the road, "I'm going in." I pushed off my knees and stood, Roman doing the same.