Chapter 27

Day: 428

Days Left: 5052

Lives Saved: 2

"Well, thank you for the session," said Corinna as she packed her notebook into her rucksack, preparing to leave the campsite.

"Always a pleasure." Salim smiled. "Until next time-" The old man's voice was drowned out by high pitched shrieking.

Corinna looked around and saw a horde of imps charging towards the campsite.

Reggie, who had been quiet and lying at Salim's feet for the whole conversation, bolted up and dashed over to the imps, who received the rottweiler with cheers of excitement and warm embraces.

"The imps have taken quite a shine to Reginald," said Salim as he looked over at the rottweiler, his tail wagging furiously from all of the attention he was getting. "Occasionally, they take him on walks as I am incapable of doing so regularly."

"Aw, that's sweet," said Corinna. She then gulped and nervously waved as the imps caught sight of her. The young woman steeled herself before the horde of imps bombarded her.

They clung to her and jumped around whilst chattering and squealing in an incomprehensible language.

"It's nice to see you all again." Corinna beamed.

The imps responded with gleeful gibberish.

"I am assuming you will be taking Reginald for a walk?" Salim asked one of the imps.

Nodding, the imp made an affirmative noise which Salim presumed meant 'yes'. It then clung onto Corinna's hand and started dragging her away.

"I believe that they would like you to come along with them for the walk," said Salim.

"Yep, seems like it," replied Corinna as the imps ushered her and Reggie with them.

"It appears you do not have a choice in the matter."

"No, appears not!" Corinna laughed.

After Corinna made one last farewell to Salim, she left the campsite and was led by the imps across the marshland, with Reggie bounding beside them.

*

Eventually, they arrived at their destination, and Corinna saw a caravan situated amongst large rocks upon the sand in the distance. The caravan had been initially white but was now covered in painted doodles as well as several dents and scratches. Outside were a collection of clutter, mostly toys, that littered the ground.

Opening the door, the imps guided Corinna into the caravan. Once bare white walls were now covered in multicoloured scribbles; even the ceiling had not been excluded. Against these painted walls were a small kitchenette and several cushioned seats that extended out into a bed. Tucked in one of the corners was a door that supposedly led to the bathroom.

Holding her hand, the imps dragged Corinna over to one of the seats in the back and instructed her to sit down. The young woman complied and forced to choose between what board game they should play.

As Corinna and the imps played a game of Jenga, Reggie laid down, his tail wagging from the constant affection and sometimes accidentally knocked down the wooden block tower, causing the imps to howl with laughter. After the game was finished, with Corinna letting the imps win, she was given a small tour of the 'art gallery': the numerous drawings on the walls and pictures hanging from a long piece of string. Corinna praised them, giving a unique complement for each one.

Once they had played a few more games, Corinna suggested that they walk Reggie back to Salim before it grew too dark. The imps protested and clung onto Corinna.