11. GLAD TO DISAPPOINT

Chapter 11: GLAD TO DISAPPOINT

************************************************

Alex's POV:

**********

Making ice was a quiet, peaceful and calm process, and most work was done by the fridge anyway, but expecting any form of quiet from Jensen was obviously hopeless.

He talked, and teased and flirted nonstop, to the point that I was beyond annoyed, but when he suddenly got silent, I was worried.

God, what's wrong with me? It's almost as if I prefer the flirty, smug, complacent Jensen. But I don't. Not at all!

I was wondering what he was thinking and what happened to make him so quiet all of a sudden. When most work was done, we were both standing in front of the fridge staring at it, and I spoke up.

"What's wrong? Why are you suddenly quiet?" I couldn't help but ask, as I leaned comfortably against the counter.

"Just thinking..." He said vaguely, looking into a distance, almost as if he was looking but not seeing.

"About what?" Was I being too inquisitive?

"Well, about the Davis group deal. I was thinking it's a good day to let her know...." He explained, "but I'm not sure if I should tell her... I didn't even acquire it myself... I just think..." He trailed off as he looked at me and continued, "I think you should be the one to tell her."

Me? What- that makes no sense!

"You do realise the only reason for me to interfere in that deal was you..." I said, he didn't speak for a moment as he looked at me, smiling covertly, sadly.

"I know but... " He mumbled, his eyes very vulnerable, lamenting.

"I only wanted to help you, there was no other intention." I told him, "I didn't even know Lydia back then, besides It's what you wanted to do for a long time, it makes no sense for me to tell her..."

"But she would think it's all me, she'll thank me, say so many things I don't deserve..." He trailed off, his eyes seem to speak so much more, as he held himself accountable, his self-hatred was revealed which he usually hid beneath a mask of prideful pretense, but in that moment he didn't hide from me.

"That's not true. If anyone deserves it, it's you..." I said, sharply.  I needed him to know. I knew how much he struggled and how he lost sleep, blamed himself, and lost his peace of mind and tried with everything he could. It counts for something. "Besides, coming from anyone else, it won't feel right..."

When he took a step closer to me, my eyes widened but I stayed still, pressing against the counter I was leaning my hip on. He stopped right in front of me, only a few inches away.

"I never thanked you for that, did I?" He said softly, "god, is there anything I haven't messed up...." It sounded like a rhetorical question so I didn't speak, he raised his hand and touched the side of my face gently, his fingertips glided across my jaw, before he rested his warm hand against my cheek. I closed my eyes when he leaned in and pressed a kiss to my forehead, "Thankyou." I shivered.

A moment passed as I looked into his gunmetal grey eyes, and he smiled sadly, "I don't know how you did it Alex, but I'm so grateful...I can't thank you enough." He said sincerely.

"It was the least I could do..." I said with a smile. For once, forgetting everything else.

**********************************************************

When Lydia came home that night, she was met with a very cliche setting... all the lights were switched off and the entire place was decorated with candles.