-Chapter 15-

I look at my reflection in the mirror just outside my car window. Long black hair falls in waves around my shoulders, and a tight shirt clings to my upper body. "Who am I supposed to be?" I ask, watching as Cullen chuckles.

"We have to go through a Government checkpoint. Preliminary work to ensure that no one is trying to get in or out that shouldn't be. Just follow me lead." He juts his chin ahead, motioning toward a well-lit gate with Agents standing on both sides, their guns prominent in front of them, large sensors beaming down on a single car that is passing through before us.

I watch as an Agent approaches the vehicle, looking in and talking to the driver as something is handed to him.

Soon after the car is cleared and kicks up dust as it pulls away.

Cullen eases our car forward, the Agents stepping toward us, their faces void of any emotion. "ID Agent?"

Cullen hands him an ID card as the scanners begin going over our vehicle. I have to wonder what they look for. Weapons? Could the scanners pick up that I have a UCP on? I try not to let the thought worry me.

"What takes you out of the sector at this time?" the Agent asks. His tone is more conversational that accusatory, but I have a serious desire to leave, nonetheless.

Cullen grins, pointing a thumb at me. "Trying to have a good time before we're stuck here for weeks on end. I snuck my girl in earlier," he reaches across the car, taking my hand in his, "but I guess it's time to take her back."

The Agent is silent for one beat. Two. And then, "if I were you, I'd find a way to keep her here. She seems like she'd be good-"

"Come on man," Cullen's voice is even, but there's a slight edge to his words, "that's my girlfriend you're talking about. We really just want to spend some time together. I'm supposed to report back here by seven. Can you help a man out?"

The Agent checks the time and nods.

"Alright, I get it." He waves us forward, slapping his hand against the car, chuckling, "enjoy yourselves."

I stay silent for a while as the checkpoint grows smaller and smaller behind us.

"I can't believe that worked."

Cullen rolls his eyes. "Felisha, if I've learned anything during my time up at those deplorable Cells, it's that Agents have few interests, but women are at the top of their lists. Learn your enemy."

"Enemy?" I know Cullen and I have talked before about his standings with the Government, but he's an Agent. "Are you forgetting what you do for a living?"

"It's far from a living," Cullen muses. "Besides, I figure I have something I should tell you." I stay silent, waiting for him to continue. But rather than explaining with words, he raises a hand up to his ear, and realization spreads through me as his appearance flickers.

For a brief moment my eyes lock onto the distinct features beside me and my first thoughts are of Kane. But I let my eyes look further, at the harshness in the face's features, the skin with far more scars scattered across his cheeks, chin, nose. Andrew.

"Andrew... has it been you the whole time?"

He nods, and I try to wrap my mind around the fact that Andrew has been at my side practically since being dropped off at the Cells. "Surprise."

"Why didn't you tell me?" I think back to all the moments he spoke so freely of his feelings toward the Government, the way he protected me.

"We thought it'd be best if you didn't know. Besides, there was no way I'd have been able to tell you without letting the Leader know. He has that entire facility bugged."

"Does Kane know I'm coming?" I ask, a thrill running through me. I'm going to see Kane. I'm going to live. Just a few hours ago I was coming to terms with the fact that my execution would take place in four days' time.

"No," he shakes his head, a long breath escaping his lips, "I didn't have time to tell him about any of what's gone on tonight. The second the auction was over, and that man took you away, Charlie pulled me aside. I didn't want to tell Kane anything until I had you here in this car with me. He doesn't even know about the execution."

Andrew begins to dial something in on the interface of the car, but I grab his hand.

"Please, don't call him."

Andrew nods, though I can tell he doesn't quite understand my request. I don't want Kane to hear anything about me until I can tell him myself. Tonight. A smile tugs at my lips at the thought.

The fight is far from over, but at the very least, a small battle has been won this evening.

A/N~ Sorry this is a day late! I totally lost track of the date yesterday. I hope everyone is well.

Questions:

1.) Are you ready for a Kane and Felisha reunion?

2.) What do you think will happen when the Leader realizes Fel is gone?

3.) Any predictions or hopes for the remainder of the book?

4.) Were you surprised about Cullen/Andrew?

Until next time, 

Sarah