chapter seventeen - meeting the parents

Two weeks passed in Athens before any arrival of significance to Diana Bridgerton occurred.

She spent her time along with her companions and greatly enjoyed immersing herself into the culture of Greece. But there was still a heavy presence weighing upon her mind that had been there ever since her discussion with the Prince.

Their conversation had reignited with vigour her previous affections for Prince Friedrich that she had tried so hard to suppress.

Eventually, on the fifteen day, an event occurred which would change Diana Bridgerton’s fate forever.

Having just completed a turn about the water gardens, the young girl was about to set off to visit the Pantheon and spend some time exploring the ancient history surrounding the area, when an entourage of carriages rolled into the palace courtyard.

She could not help herself, she simply had to see what all the commotion was about.

Wandering down there, she found the entire royal family had already gathered alongside several others of importance in the palace.

Glancing around she spotted Augustus and Teddy lingering about a little behind the royal family themselves, and she quickly made her way over to them.

“What on earth is going on?” She enquired.

Augustus glance down at her with a smirk, clearly delighted that he knew something which she did not.

“Why, it is only the Ling and Queen of Prussia come to visit their old friends,” he replied nonchalantly, internally rejoicing as he watched the colour drain from Diana’s cheeks.

“Oh god,” she whispered.

She stood there patiently as the two families greeted each other, taking the time to study them as thoroughly as she could.

‘Who knows, they may be your mother and father in law one day,’ came a voice in the back of her mind.

She blushed discreetly at the suggestion.

“Miss Bridgerton?” A foreign voice pulled her from her thoughts. “What a pleasure it is to finally meet you. I have heard much of your beauty and intellect.”

Looking up she saw a woman who she presumed to be the Queen of Prussia. The longer she stared at her, the more she began to see Friedrich’s features.

The woman was the epitome of elegance and, for a moment, the Bridgerton was stuck by how very similar she was to her own mother.

“It is a pleasure to meet you, your Highness,” she spoke, trying to keep a steady voice.

“Thank you, my lady. I do believe we have some matters to discuss? Tell me if I am wrong?”

“Erm-“

Here, Theodore interrupted her from potential embarrassment and effectively prevented her from further stuttering.

“Yes, you are quite right, your highness. Perhaps you might wish to discuss it with myself first. I am, after all, her guardian whilst we are abroad.”

The Queen briefly glanced at the Blake boy, quickly forming an opinion of him.

“You are quite right. Henri?” She called to her husband, “have you met the young Miss Bridgerton and her companions yet?”

Following their introduction, the Prussian royals parted ways with the quartet and headed into the castle to discuss matters with the King and Queen of Greece.

It was not until the evening that Diana saw them again.

Indeed, they did not even make it to dinner. Instead, the Queen herself sought out the girl who was presently curled up in an armchair in the palace library.

It was raining heavily outside which, along with the steadily burning fire and faint smell of smoke, created an ambient atmosphere of tranquility.

Therefore, when the Queen slowly opened the door and called out to the Bridgerton, she received quite a fright.

“I wondered if I might catch you here. This is always where Friedrich spends his evenings, I can see that the two of you are quite alike.”

Well, she certainly didn’t beat around the bush, as the old saying goes.

“Yes,” Diana smiled at her as she lay down her book. “Libraries can be so very peaceful, it gives one time and space to think.”

“And what... may I ask do you like to think about?” Asked the Queen as she took a seat in the armchair beside Diana.

She took a moment to calculate her reply. For the young girl did not wish to say anything which might make the Queen opposed to her.

“Everything, I suppose. Although I will admit my thoughts have been taken up with something rather different recently.”

She hoped she was not being too forward but, in truth, Diana Bridgerton really just wanted their conversation to be over. She had spent weeks nervously awaiting the Prince’s parents’ arrival.

“I can imagine. I was much the same when I first met Henri. We aware a love match, you know? And because of that I have always wanted my own children to marry for love too.”

Oh god.

“Friedrich wrote to us several times during his stay in London, and more recently as well. From what I gather you are not the only one sat by fires late at night contemplating... love.”

Diana glanced at her and received a warm smile. This was going better than she expected.

“Aren’t you concerned that we hardly know each other?”

The Queen seemed to ponder this for a moment, although Diana theorised that she already knew her answer well in advance if her even asking it.

“If I may speak freely, I suggest you get to know my son a little better before you make any definite conclusions. Besides, I do not think he is quite ready to muster up the courage to ask for your hand. Not yet anyway.”

There was a prolonged silence, but it was a comfortable one. As the two women sat and Alan used their thoughts, a connection between them grew.

“I will be off now,” began the Queen, “I promised Anya and Hestia that I would take a turn with them in the gardens before turning in. Perhaps you would like to accompany us?”

A walk with two Queens and a Princess - what could be more terrifying?

Somehow, despite her brain saying no, Diana still ended up joining them on their walk. How funny, they were already treating her as an equal.

***

Dearest readers,

My apologies that this is a shorter chapter, I have been kept busy with my upcoming philosophy exam and EPQ presentation. Plus, I have just started working on a Sirius Black book so you can imagine that I am rather busy!

Just to let you all know, a certain Prince will be returning to the story next chapter - after a rather prolonged absence I have to admit.

Perhaps this will be an opportunity for the pair to discuss their feelings! Or maybe not! We shall have to see.

Have a lovely day and I will try to update this ASAP!

Yours truly

Valentina Riviera