6.10

Helena zigzagged through the crowd that had formed to hear Derek's speech, settling in beside her friends

Helena zigzagged through the crowd that had formed to hear Derek's speech, settling in beside her friends. Derek was apparently their new chief of surgery, having called for a meeting.

"What the hell is he wearing?" Callie asked, her tone a bit mocking.

"It's good. Chiefly." Owen shrugged, Cristina shaking her head.

"He looks like an undertaker." She shared, Helena letting out a giggle.

"He kind of looks like a child playing dress up." The brunette told them, Callie letting out a chuckle.

"I promised him we'd clap." Arizona told them, the short girl nodding.

"Now?" Cristina teased.

As she felt a hand on the small of her back, Helena saw her boyfriend, smiling up at him as he pressed a kiss to her forehead.

"Did Sloan say anything about when she was getting back?" She asked, stealing the man's coffee.

"She said she'd let us know when she booked a flight. Said it might be a few days." Mark told her, the crowd soon quieting down as Derek cleared him throat, shuffling through his flashcards.

"I want to thank you all for being here." He told them. "I know you're busy so I'll try to make this quick. As you might have heard, I have been appointed the new interim Chief of Surgery. It's my personal goal to make this transition as smooth as possible. I know we've head a rocky few months, mistakes have been made. I intend to right those wrongs and bring this hospital back to it's former glory."

"Former glory." Cristina mocked. "The undertaker needs a speech writer."

Helena snacked the back of their neck, turning when she heard Reed speak. "Check out Chief Webber."

"Oh, I can't see him!" Helena complained, getting on her tiptoes and pouting. "Does he look mad?" At that, Mark grabbed her waist, lifting her slightly off the ground. "Oh, he looks mad... Thank you, querido."

Webber and Shepherd seemed to be in some sort of stare down for a moment, the neurosurgeon nervously getting back to his speech soon enough. "And, huh... what I meant by that... what I'm trying to say is that I want to thank you for your support in advance, that's all. Let's go back to work."

Helena shook her head and scrunched up her nose disapprovingly, however, clapped along with Arizona and the rest at the end of the speech.

As the crowd dispersed, she whispered to her boyfriend. "That wasn't good. You don't thank people for support you don't have."

"No, ruined the whole speech." Mark agreed, Arizona approaching them.

"Lena, let's go for rounds?" She requested with a smile, Helena nodding.

"Let's. See you later, honey."

——

Helena palpated her patient's abdomen as Arizona asked the boy's parents some questions, in the room at peds floor of the hospital.