xvi. i must not disrupt lessons

tw: mentions of blood

THE FOLLOWING WEEKS AT HOGWARTS WERE MADE VERY UNPLEASANT— courtesy of the minister of magic's decision to appoint umbridge as high inquisitor. the woman had sacked professor trelwaney and tried to banish her from the grounds— although of course, dumbledore wouldn't allow her banishment, and overruled her.

which made the next defence against the dark arts lesson with her even more unbearable.

which was saying something.

"wands away," she instructed the students with a smile, and those who had been hopeful enough to take them out— including paris— sadly returned them to their bags. "as we finished chapter one last lesson, i would like you all to turn to page nineteen today and commence chapter two, 'common defensive theories and their derivation'. there will be no need to talk."

paris sighed dully, opening the book and flipping the pages till she reached nineteen. however, she looked up when she noticed hermione's hand being raised, and professor umbridge scooting towards her.

"what is it this time, miss granger?"

"i've already read chapter two." she said.

"well, then, proceed to chapter three."

"i've read that too. i've read the whole book."

the woman blinked, but recovered her poise almost instantly. "well, then, you should be able to tell me what slinkhard says about counter-jinxes in chapter fifteen."

this wasn't a problem for hermione, who answered without distress: "he says that counter-jinxes are improperly named. he says 'counter-jinx' is just a name people give their jinxes when they want to make them sound more acceptable."