𝟎𝟗 | 𝐚𝐝𝐞𝐥𝐢𝐧𝐞 𝐜𝐚𝐫𝐫𝐢𝐧𝐠𝐭𝐨𝐧

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐍𝐈𝐍𝐄

The season's opening ball at Danbury House is a most highly sought-after invitation, indeed, for every darling debutante from Park Lane to Regent Street will be on display.

Titled, chaste and innocent, this is what they have been raised and trained for since birth.

Tonight, we shall discover which young ladies might succeed at securing a match, thereby avoiding the dreadful, dismal condition known as the 'spinster.'

Dressed in a beautiful red and gold ball gown, detailed with small diamonds and pretty pearls, Adeline watched Gwen through her mirror as she finished placing golden threads into her hair, tied into the small plaits. Adeline had gone for most of her hair being down once again - not expecting to do much dancing this evening. Her choice of the red dress was simply because she had favoured the dress and colour among the others and she was known to be odd and to stand out, so why should she hold back.

"You look beautiful Adeline." Gwen complimented her, smiling at her in the reflection of the mirror.
"Not merely as beautiful as you are dear Gwen. I wish you could come with me." Adeline sighed.

"Thank you your grace, but I imagine everyone in the ton and London would disagree. You are after all the gem of the season," she teased.
"Must you keep repeating Lady Whistledown's words? Tonight is going to be full of boys wanting to win this gem, just so they can show off. Well, they'll be sad when they realise I do not intend to marry unless it is for love." She ranted.
"Just as you should. I have never met anyone who deserves true love more than you do Lady Carrington." Gwen stepped away so Adeline could admire her hair.

"It's lovely Gwen. Thank you," Adeline turned to properly face the girl. "And I hope you find love one day - any man would be luckily to have you by his side." Adeline was blind to the drop of happiness on Gwen's face at the mention of her own love life. Gwen had been in love before. In fact she still was in love, she had recently discovered. But she would never tell a single soul. Not even Adeline.

"Sister-" Sebastian stopped by her bedroom door. "You look as beautiful as ever Adeline. I believe we should be off now - wouldn't want to be late." Sebastian was always one for punctuality.

"Of course brother. If one were late then who knows how embarrassing it would be for said family." She taunted sarcastically, rolling her eyes playfully. Sebastian sent her a small glare, but his eyes were filled with humour.
"Gwen - have tea and cakes ready for when I'm back - I do believe a girl night is far over due." Adeline smiled brightly at her before hooking her arm through her brother's as the two left.

⚜️

"Shall we be staying long brother?" Adeline asked him as they were helped out of the carriage, gazing up at Lady Danbury's House, which had been decorated throughout the day. She had seem painters arrive when she was here earlier. It was evening now and darkness had began to fall, so the fairy lights and candles made everything seem magical along with the music. She could hear the violins from outside, and oh how she wished she too could perform her music like such. They made their way inside together. Father and grandfather both were not attending this evening as they both had no need to. Adeline also secretly thought it was because neither wanted to listen to Sebastian boss them all around. Sebastian liked to think he was the man of the household most times, even though he wasn't.