10 ~ The other Crawleys

Evelyn's toes tapped the floor of the car as it drove through the village in route to meet the new heir of Downton

Evelyn's toes tapped the floor of the car as it drove through the village in route to meet the new heir of Downton. Mary sat next to her, looking unamused as usual.

"Will you keep your feet still? That sound is very annoying." Mary snapped.

Evelyn just smiled. "Are you nervous?"

"About what?"

"...you're not the brightest sometimes. To meet Matthew! I'm excited."

"I'm so happy for you." She replied sarcastically. "I'm a bit nervous I suppose, but it's not like I have any reason to be. I don't think."

"We're here, miladies." The chauffeur said as he pulled up to a light stone house surrounded by a stone fence to match. 

"Pretty house," Evelyn stated, Mary hummed in response. "By the way, I'm going to stay behind in the village for a bit so go on without me."

Mary smiled. "Plan to see Ben?"

"I figured since I'm here I would swing by, just to say hi."

"I think that's a splendid idea."

The girls stepped out of the car and sauntered to the door, Evelyn used her gloved hands to smooth out her navy blue skirt over a white, long-sleeved tunic. She buttoned her grey overcoat when a chilly breeze whipped by that blew her loosely tied ponytail.

The butler, Molesley, stood at the front door once he saw their car approached. Evelyn, having met him once before, smiled at him.

"Hello, Molesley."

He looked a bit shocked that she remembered him. "Oh, well...hello, Lady Evelyn. Lady Mary. Do come in, they've only just arrived and are settling in."

As Molesley led the girls through the hall, a man's voice became clearer as they approached the home's drawing-room.

"Well, they're clearly going to push one of the daughters at me. They'll have fixed on that when they heard I was a bachelor." The voice spoke.

Evelyn bit her lip. "Oop."

"Lady Mary Crawley and Lady Evelyn Levinson." Molesley presented the girls as they entered the drawing-room.

A young man and an older woman looked at them wide-eyed to see the frown of Lady Mary and the amused smile of Lady Evelyn. Evelyn scanned over the new faces. Matthew was fairly tall and a bit stocky with blonde hair and incredibly bright blue eyes - Evelyn found him very handsome. Behind him stood his mother, Isobel Crawley. She had blonde hair like Matthew's that peaked out from under her burgundy hat and kind brown eyes.

"I do hope we're not interrupting." Mary smiled a bit, starting to feel the same amusement as Evelyn as she noticed their deer-in-the-headlights expressions.

Isobel approached the girls with a smile. "Lady Mary. Lady Evelyn."

"Cousin Mary, please. And just Evelyn." Evelyn nodded to them with a smile at Mary's correction. "Mama has sent us down to welcome you and to ask you to dine with us tonight. Unless you're too tired."