0 - 11

Your 'grandmother' Rann quickly becomes your favorite person on the farm to hang out with. She's mostly quiet and a bit odd, like something's addled her brain, but occasionally she tells you a story from her youth, which makes her sound like quite the wild animal. Sometimes you garden with her, and sometimes it's knitting. Eventually, she teaches you how to sew after you tear your skirt when moving some of the boxes in Willem's farm house.

She's much better company than Ethel, who keeps watching you warily like she expects you to flee at any given moment. Besides that conversation you overheard on the first night, nothing seems amiss. It feels like you're settling in quite well.

You write to Levi again.

Levi,

I finally learned how to make tea.

His response comes back two weeks later.

You're probably shit at it.

Levi

Hange is much more exciting to write to. They're constantly giving you updates on what's happening in the Survey Corps, what they discovered in the latest expedition. They tell you it's too late now to join the 103rd squad but you can probably sign up for the 104th squad for training, when you decide to come back. And you want to come back, you do; but it feels like there's something here you need to find out. Besides, even if you did come back, you're not sure if the doctor- or Levi, for that matter- would even let you join.

So instead, you spend your time lifting heavy things and trying to get stronger. Learning how to cook, trying to make a decent cup of tea. Ethel has dozens of books on tea and bags of tea leaves that she hangs out to dry. You end up trying all kinds of different teas, some which you like and others that you don't.

Levi,

I tried nettle tea. Not a fan.

Levi's response comes back two weeks later when Willem returns from the city, and it makes you want to steal a horse and ride down there yourself to smack him.

You've got no taste.

Levi

It's been about three months. Three months of relative normalcy until you're knitting again with Rann, and she's giving you a story about Willem when she stops herself. "Shouldn't talk about it," she murmurs, knitting needles clacking furiously. "He was a good kid."

You're confused, but you let it drop. "Okay," you reply. Then, you ask, "is he a good father?"

Rann hums in contentment, and you think she hasn't heard you until she says, "good to Malcolm and Lars, yes. Good to Ethel, yes."

The answer feels dodgy, so you finally ask something that's been bothering you. "What about the other girls who lived here?" you ask tentatively. Rann's knitting needles stop moving. "Everyone seems to dodge around the topic. How many other girls have you had here? Where do they go once they realize they're not his missing kid?"

She remains frozen, eyes trained on her knitting project. You wait patiently.

"You're a good girl," she whispers. "I hope for your own sake that you're not who he thinks you are."

Chills erupt up your spine. She hopes you're not Willem's daughter- not her granddaughter? Why? Because the necklace feels like it's growing heavier and heavier in your jacket pocket every day. You had actually been close to owning up to it and telling Willem that you're probably his missing daughter, but now the chance of that happening slips back to zero. "What do you mean?" you ask, voice quiet. "Why should I not want to be his daughter?"