Chapter 13

Hurts Like Hell

Bridgerton House, London

Charlotte received yet another letter, but not from the Bridgertons this time, it was from Rose, Daphne's maid. Mentioning that she saw her in much distress and tears, and that she locked herself in her room.

The Princess didn't think twice and asked for the guards to bring the carriage around, to the Bridgerton House.

When she arrived, she knocked on the door, and was opened by Rose. Since the two already know what to do, Rose guided Charlotte towards Daphne's room.

"Miss," Rose knocked on the door.

"I wish to be alone, Rose," the two heard her voice.

"Daphne, it is I," Charlotte finally announced herself. "Your favorite Princess."

Rose and the Princess exchanged a look, and sighed when they received no response from Daphne.

But seconds later, the Bridgerton girl finally opened the door, and Charlotte looked at her with sadness when she noticed her red and puffy eyes.

"I'll be outside if you need anything," Rose informed the two, and left them alone.

"Can I come in?" Charlotte asked, and Daphne nodded.

Once inside, the two girls sat on the bed in silence. Daphne looked down at her lap, lost in thought, before wondering how Charlotte found out.

"Rose reached out to me," she explained, and Daphne looked up at her. "What happened, Daph?"

"The Duke happened," she took a deep breath, and sighed. "He ended things between us. Not only our arrangement, but our friendship. It appears everything meant nothing to him."

"Did he tell you that?" Charlotte frowned and Daphne nodded.

"I– I knew we had to end things eventually, when I had found my match, or perhaps when the season was over, and mamas were no longer after him," she let out a small sob. "But now that is has happened... It hurts so much, Char."

The Princess sighed at the sight of her friend, and the silent tears that rolled down her face.

"It seems to me...that you have developed certain feelings for the Duke," Charlotte said. "Am I wrong?"

"Well, there is no point in lying," she took a deep breath and lightly nodded. "I think I did... And I still do."

"Listen to me, alright? And listen carefully... You were named the diamond of the season, Daph," Charlotte grabbed her friend's a hands, hoping to encourage her. "You are a diamond. No one can break you. Not Lady Whistledown. Not even the Duke of Hastings. Always remember that."

"How come you always know exactly what to say?" She asked with a weak smile.

"It is a gift, I presume," she sighed with a small smile. "Make them stop and stare. All gentlemen. You are beautiful! Use your beauty to your advantage and as you please. Do not hide it."

"Oh," Daphne's eyes filled with tears, feeling a bit better by her friend's words of encouragement. "May I?"

"Of course," the two women leaned forward and enveloped in a much needed hug. "Everything will be alright, dear. You'll see."