Wattpad Original
There are 3 more free parts

Chapter 8

Against Elyse's will, every single one of Alessandro's compliments hit home. They stirred up foreign, unfamiliar emotions. Emotions—that Elyse didn't know she was capable of feeling. No man had ever spoken to her this way. Hell, it had been so long since she experienced any kind of meaningful connection with another human being. Elyse didn't realize how lonely her existence had been until now.

Standing only a few feet away, Alessandro watched her through a hooded gaze, observing her, always observing her, as though he could read her thoughts, as though she could hide nothing from him.

Elyse frowned. "You claim to know and admire me. But you didn't have the balls to approach me. Why did you contact me through Mr. Schmid instead of offering the job yourself?"

Alessandro smirked. "Would you have accepted if you knew that I would be your employer?"

Her bluster faltered. "I—"

"Exactly."

She sighed. "People who play games make me nervous. I want to trust you, but—"

"Then," he urged, "trust me."

If only it was so easy.

Elyse couldn't let go of her doubts about him, about this job, about staying in this remote chalet with a supposed member of Cosa Nostra...

She felt torn.

On one hand, she trusted Alessandro Vitale no more than she trusted Stefano Russo. On the other hand, he seemed to be the lesser of evils at the moment. For the time being, Elyse decided to hope for the best and plan for the worst. She would use him to her advantage until a better opportunity arose.

Or signs of danger forced her to flee.

Haltingly, Elyse mumbled, "I suppose I don't have to resign right this moment."

He beamed in approval. "This is pleasing to hear."

Maybe it wouldn't hurt to give this job a real shot?

Elyse figured she had nothing to lose by sticking around for a month or two. She had no desire to return to New York. To her old life. To Stefano's constant death threats. Maybe it was time to lease her soul to a new devil. A beautiful brown-and-blue-gray-eyed devil.

Stay at my side, angelo, and I promise you will not regret your decision.

Elyse prayed his promise wouldn't prove false. She bit her lower lip with uncertainty.

Did Alessandro actually care about her well-being?

Or was there another reason why he wanted to keep her close?

Elyse didn't know where she stood with him.

Why did he go through so much trouble to hire her?

She attempted to find out, "If I decided to resign from my post in the future, would you stop me from leaving?"

Alessandro's response was immediate, "Yes."

His honesty surprised her. It also alarmed her.

She challenged, "Why? Is it because you hope to retain me as an employee? Or as a... hostage?"

Alessandro scowled at the word "hostage," but he didn't address it.

"It is because," he stated simply, "you're mine to protect."

As though this explained everything.

She pressed, "Would you force me to stay against my will?"

"I would do everything in my power to convince you to stay," Alessandro confessed, "but I would not hurt you. If that is what weighs on your mind."