Chapter VIII: Trial of Commitment

"Ay kiddo, you know about a man with a long brown coat and a diamond symbol on him?"

The young blue-haired boy's eyes were still super-glued to the collection of papers with front and back covers. Mellow gleams of the moon reflected off each word into the boy's retinas. He read the tale inscribed on the pages intently, Childe's voice completely blocked out by his concentration.

Since the Harbinger couldn't be bothered to wait, he planted a palm on the boy's shoulder-a poor decision on his end.

"Know my sword!"

Two sudden mid-air slashes of Hydro slammed against Childe's already drawn Hydro daggers. The random hostility was unfortunately expected, granted that the general public always detested the presence of the Fatui.

"Oi oi! I don't wanna know about your shitty sword I just wanna know if you've seen a man!"

"Listen here, I just finished wiping the smug grins off of your unconscious foul-mouthed henchmen with the aid of the Traveler from Mondstadt. Before I summon the Traveler once again to smack you around in a similar fashion, kindly be on your way."

"Okay jeez, no need for all that attitude...could you at least answer my question? I'm looking for a close friend."

"Me? Help the Fatui? How despicable of you to assume that I'd do as such. I'd rather bathe in faecal matter than join hands with you."

Childe threw his daggers up into the air and they evaporated shortly after twirling in the air. He stood arms akimbo and delivered a firm glance into the boy's soul.

"Don't see it as helping a member of the Fatui, but rather an individual that seeks no conflict with you in order to settle one with a dear friend. You can call me Childe."

The boy sighed and sheathed his well-maintained longsword. He shut the book with his other hand and hopped off the wall that he sat on, a hint of irritation in each movement.

"I'll sweeten the deal. Here. 10,000 Mora in exchange for your information."

Childe opened a palm and revealed a pouch containing cold hard Mora. The boy snatched it from the Harbinger, examining the quantity of Mora within the said pouch. True enough, in it was 10,000 Mora.

"Fine. Well, I'm Xingqiu and you need not know anything more than that about me since we're simply mere acquaintances."

As he was about to give an answer, he realised something confusing

"Wait, I haven't told you anything and you're willing to fork over such a sum of money?"

"Your face didn't spell confusion upon listening to the description of my friend. A person who doesn't know what I'm talking about would've turned me away before I even offered them Mora."