26: Finally

The hangman's noose. It was all the rage these days. Execution after execution. You watched the man reading out their crimes. He stated:

"In order to affect a timely halt to deteriorating conditions and to ensure common good, a state of emergency is declared for these territories by decree of Lord Cutler Beckett, duly appointed representative of his majesty, the king. By decree, according to martial law, the following statutes are temporarily amended:

"Right to assembly, suspended

Right to habeas corpus, suspended

Right to legal counsel, suspended

Right to verdict by a jury of peers, suspended

"By decree, all persons found guilty of piracy, or aiding a person convicted of piracy, or associating with a person convicted of piracy shall be sentenced to hang by the neck until dead."

You had very narrowly escaped that fate. Lord Cutler Beckett had granted you full pardon for bringing the heart of Davy Jones. You married James the day after arriving at Port Royal.

You rarely wore a dress now, you almost alway had on an officer's uniform. You were basically one, just not officially recognized because you were a woman. You missed Will and Elizabeth and worried for them constantly. You tried not to think of Jack.

You were helping Beckett with some paperwork when you heard it. They were singing.

"Time to go?" You asked.

"Finally," said Beckett.

_ _ _

"Hello Governor," you whispered. He looked up at you and smiled. You had found comfort in each other as well as James. There was a war coming and you were always busy.

The majority of your day you spent with Beckett. You were his best advisor, along with Mr. Mercer whom you got along with.

"A piece of eight." Beckett had been spinning a coin. "Nine of them, you say?"

"Our new friend in Singapore was very specific, sir," replied Mr. Mercer. You knew about singapore. Mr. Mercer told you everything. "Nine pieces of eight."

"What's the significance of that, I wonder."

"Nothing can hold against the armada. Not with the Flying Dutchman in the lead"

"Nothing we know of," you said. Beckett nodded.

"Did your friend mention where the Brethren Court are meeting?"

"He was mum on that, sir," replied Mr. Mercer. 

"Hmm. then he knows the value of information. Better keep this between ourselves." You nodded. "We don't want anyone running off to singapore."

You glanced at the Governor. Unlike you, he was not trusted. He was here by force, not will. Even though you were here by will, your loyalties lie elsewhere. They didn't know that though. Your husband and life was here.

James walked in. "Ah, Admiral," said Beckett

He looked at you and smiled and said, "You summoned me, Lord Beckett."

"Yes, something for you here," said Beckett. "Your new station deserves an old friend."

You showed him the box. He opened it and unsheathed the sword. The sword Will had made him what felt like a century ago.

The brethren know they face extinction," continued Beckett. "All that remains is for them to decide where they make their final stand."

You, the Governor and James shared a look.