Chapter Forty-Three - Better Together

~

Reece's POV

~

Lifting a hand to my mouth, I cover my yawn as I stumble into the kitchen on Saturday morning. Both my parents are already up and having coffee at the dining table on the other side of the counter. It seems like everyone else is still asleep.

"Morning," I tell them, going to the cupboard to get out my cereal. Cinnamon Toast Crunch is the best. If you try to fight me on that, you'll lose.

"Morning, baby," Mom looks at me over the top of her mug before setting it down in front of her. She's unable to contain her smile as she asks, "How was last night?"

A content smile automatically lifts my lips as I think back to the previous night. My date with Layla was perfect. She is perfect. I don't deserve her.

"Great." I reply, pouring some cereal into a bowl.

"That's it? Great?" Dad questions, raising an eyebrow at me.

I turn my back to them to get the milk from the fridge and also to hide my smirk, "I mean... I have a girlfriend now, so-"

I'm cut off by my mother's intense squeals. She immediately jumps up from her seat and runs over to hug me. "I'm so happy! Layla is perfect for you, Reece. I'm so happy you met her, baby."

I smile, hugging her back, "I'm really happy too, Mom. She's amazing."

"I am so glad you two finally got together!" She exclaims as she lets go of me to walk back to her seat at the dining table, "I was starting to think it would never happen."

"So was I," I mutter, finally pouring milk into the bowl and going to sit across from my parents at the dining table.

"Is she coming over today?" Mom asks casually, but I know she's really wanting to talk to Layla about last night.

"She's going shopping with Anna and Amanda this morning. They'll probably come back here after though." I tell her, starting to eat my cereal.

"I should make some muffins if you all are going to be here. Are you, Liam, and Mark going to be here then while the girls are out?" She asks me.

I shrug, "Probably. I don't know."

Mom shakes her head, "You boys are useless at planning. The girls have already sorted that they're going out shopping today whereas I bet you didn't even know that Liam stayed the night here last night."

"Nope. Not surprising though."

~

"You're throwing, dude! Come on," Mark complains to Liam, his eyes intensely focused on the TV screen.

"I'm not! Reece is the one who keeps getting shot!" Liam argues.

"The one time I get shot at first and you keep bringing it up." I roll my eyes before gluing them back to the TV, not even looking down at the controller in my hands.

"Boom! Got one! There's only a couple left, right?" Liam asks.

"Yeah- I just got another. We're down to the last one." I reply.

After a few moments, Mark sighs, "Fúcking shot me again."

"So now it's you throwing, huh?" Liam smirks, glancing at Mark quickly.

"I got like the first three guys. It took you ten minutes to even make a half-decent shot."

"Hi," A new, soft voice in my ear has my head jerking to the side. I look up, a smile instantly forming on my face when I see Layla leaning down over the couch I'm sitting on.