11 ~ Late for a date

A beautiful Saturday graced Dowton as the sun shone and the cool breeze cut through the warm rays

A beautiful Saturday graced Dowton as the sun shone and the cool breeze cut through the warm rays. Violet Crawley sat in her home across from Doctor Clarkson as the two chatted about Isobel and her involvement in the hospital over the last few days. To say Violet was miffed was an understatement. A few footmen poured the guest and last tea, Violet paid it no attention.

"I don't want to exaggerate. She's been...very generous in many ways." Clarkson tepidly defended Isobel.

Violet scoffed. "Generous? To instruct you in your own practice?"

"Well, she may even have a point. But it does not seem to be realistic."

"Well, nor is it. Put an end to her meddling. I am your president and I say get rid of her." Violet ordered warningly.

"Will that not be awkward? I gather she's planning to stay in the village for the foreseeable future." Clarkson raised a brow.

Violet smiled. "No one can foresee the future, Doctor. Not you, not I, and certainly not Mises Crawley. If you need help at the hospital I insist you search elsewhere."

Clarkson sipped his tea and shook his head. "I'm in no need of help. Ben's been doing a lot to assist me."

Violet raised a brow confusedly. "Who is Ben?"

"Oh, my nephew. He's training to be a doctor and he's been helping me. I assumed Lady Evelyn would have mentioned him to you."

Violet said nothing for a moment as she processed Clarkson's words. "Why would Evelyn know anything about your nephew?" Clarkson froze, realizing he probably shouldn't have said anything about the two infatuated kids. Violet could sense his hesitation and tilted her head reprimandingly. "I wouldn't withhold any information from me, Doctor, it will not bode well for you."

He sighed. "They've been seeing each other a bit since he arrived. Ben talks about her often at the hospital, he appears quite smitten with Evelyn. Matter of fact, they're going to a play in Ripon this evening...Lady Crawley, I promise you that Ben is a good young man, very determined, kind - "

Clarkson was cut off when Violet raised her for him to stop, he did. She returned her hand on top of her other where it sat prior to her intervention with a displeased expression. "You are his uncle, and therefore I'm aware you feel that he possesses all of those wonderful qualities..however when it comes to the wellbeing of my granddaughter, I will be the judge of that."

----------------------

Evelyn trotted down the stairs into the servants' hall as she hummed a merry tune. She was in a good mood today, excited that she would get to see Ben. Evelyn had never actually been on a proper "date" before and found herself getting overwhelmed with nerves. She really liked Ben and was afraid she would mess something up; but, alas, the time has come to face the music.

When Evelyn entered the kitchen, she saw the staff dressed in their casual clothes and out of uniform. She enjoyed seeing the staff out of uniform as she felt it made them feel much more comfortable rather than being stuffed into those stiff tailored nightmares. She smiled at everyone she passed as she twirled and sang her way into the kitchen where she saw Mrs. Patmore, out of uniform, but still vigorously cleaning the counters.