Chapter 4: The Man Who Has Had to Face Despair

Half an hour after she left, JJ brought Spencer in, handcuffed, to the BAU. His hair was long and shabby, his clothes unkempt, his smell unbearable.

"No struggle?" Hotch asked.

JJ sighed and shook her head. "He's coming off a drug high, he even smiled when I showed up. He can barely walk."

"We still need to question him," Rossi said. "And if no one else dies while he's here, we need to keep him here."

***

Spencer was talking to Maeve. He stared at a corner of the small room, not even struggling against the cuffs, just smiling dumbly and talking to the woman who wasn't there. Aaron, David, and Jennifer stood on the other side of the glass, listening to his words, staring at him sadly.

"You're so beautiful," he smiled at her. "I mean... I knew that before I ever met you. You've always been the most beautiful woman in the world to me. Seeing you just confirmed it."

"We can't even talk to him," Rossi said. "He won't respond."

They stood there, silently debating what to do, when the door opened.

"Agent Hotchner? We just got reports of two more deaths."

They were all confused.

"Who?" Hotch asked.

"Agent Ashley Seaver and former Agent Elle Greenaway." He handed Hotch a folder. "The information is in there."

"We have to let him go," Rossi sighed.

They knew they were the only ones left. It was only a matter of time.

***

JJ went home and sighed as she dropped her bag. She and Henry were living in an apartment now; she couldn't stand living at the home where she and Will lived and loved together. She walked in to hear Henry laughing; a rare sound considering recent events.

"Henry?" She wiped away her tears and walked into the small living room. "What's going on?"

And there was Spencer, sitting on the floor, playing with Henry like everything was normal.

"Mommy!" Henry ran over and hugged her. "Uncle Spence is here!"

"Mhm! I can see that!" JJ swallowed heavily. "Baby, can you let Mommy and Uncle Spence talk alone for a minute?"

"Okay!" Henry ran to the kitchen.

Immediately, JJ's hand was on her gun. "What are you doing here, Spencer? How did you get here so quickly?"

Spencer laughed, hand casually resting on the pistol on his hip, "So many questions, Jennifer. Is that really how you want to spend your last few minutes?"

"Why are you doing this?"

"You didn't save her," he snapped, "And you will all suffer for that. Every single one of you."

"There was nothing we could have done," JJ shook her head sadly.

"Liar!" Spencer stepped forward, slowly backing her up against the wall. "I bet you wanted her to die, didn't you?"

"Why would I want that? I want you to be happy, Spence, we all do." She gasped as her back hit the wall.

Spencer braced his forearm against her throat and pressed his gun to her abdomen. She was taking short, terrified breaths, somehow still finding the courage to meet his eyes.

"I know you've liked me for a long time, you're bad at hiding it," Spencer hissed at her, "I bet you enjoyed her death."

"I have no idea what you're talking about," she shot back.