forty-three

𝗖𝗛𝗔𝗣𝗧𝗘𝗥 𝗙𝗢𝗥𝗧𝗬-𝗧𝗛𝗥𝗘𝗘
( 𝘓𝘖𝘝𝘌. )

NIGHT FELL QUICKLY, and the walkers grew spirited

NIGHT FELL QUICKLY, and the walkers grew spirited. Their bloody jaws clacked and their heads jerked this way and that, searching for fresh meat. Murphy's eyes moved steadily, watching every movement. Her heart pounded in her chest at the sheer number of them. Her hands grew clammy in the palms of Michonne and Jessie's youngest son, but they held on tightly to each other. Murphy squeezed Sam's hand to give the young boy some comfort. She couldn't imagine the fear. Gabriel had taken Judith to the church a while back when the group decided that flares wouldn't be enough to draw away the herd. Murphy was proud of his bravery. Sam insisted on staying. They were now heading out of the community to retrieve the vehicles left at the quarry, in hopes to round the herd up and lead them away. That was the plan.

Rick led them toward the gate, his hatchet drawn before him in defense. They moved along in a line with their hands linked tightly in each other's. Murphy breathed softly as a walker brushed past her, it's jaw unattached from the rest of its face. Another bumped into her shoulder, and she gasped silently. Their dull, lifeless, beady eyes seemed to bore right into her. The anxiety was sickening. She was just waiting for one to realize what they were- alive. Then, the most horrible feeling came over her as Sam's hand broke away from hers. Murphy's head shot over her shoulder when she felt her empty palm. Sam was frozen, his eyes staring straight into his mother's as soft whimpers left his lips.

"Sam?" Jessie whispered, clenching his hand tightly in hers. "Come on, come on. Sweetheart? Sam?"

"Hey," Murphy whispered, her eyes wide with fear and care. She looked around to make sure no walkers had noticed. "C'mon, honey. You can do it."

"Come on, Sam," Rick urged, dodging a walker.

"Sam, hey. You can do this," his older brother, Ron, whispered. "Sam, just look at mom."

Tears began to stream down the young boy's cheeks as he shook his head. His lips trembled, and his body shook with terror. Murphy had seen this many times. Trauma hit with brute force.

"I need you to come with me," Jessie pleaded, tugging on his arm.

"I want to," Sam's tiny voice whimpered.

Murphy's lips parted as she stepped forward, but a sharp movement shot out of the corner of her eye. She lunged forward, but was too late. Two walkers pounced upon the boy's figure, gripping his cheeks and shoulders as they bit into his flesh. Murphy let out a quiet shriek, her hand clamping over her mouth as Sam's screams flooded her ears. He called for his mother as his worst nightmare took over his world. The walkers swarmed upon him, pushing him to the ground as they feasted. Jessie wailed in pain, the heartbreak of a mother losing her child more distressing than anything. She couldn't let go of her son's hand.