Chapter Thirteen

Two weeks after the party, the team had to go on a mission to Russia to take down a Hydra base. Loki and I had to stay behind for some stupid reason that I didn't listen to.

Once the team had left, I flopped down on the couch.

"Want to watch a movie?" I asked.

"I would love to," Loki said.

He sat beside me. I scrolled through the movies on the screen until I found f/m.

"We have to watch f/m!" I exclaimed. "It's the best movie of all time!"

Loki agreed to watch it and I pressed play on the movie. I watched as familiar characters appeared on the screen. I quoted the lines and laughed at a few of the jokes. I swear I could have caught Loki looking at me a lot during the movie.

Once the movie had finished, I got up and stretched.

"Are you hungry?" I asked.

Loki nodded and we went to the kitchen. I looked through the cupboards and decided to make pasta. I found some pasta sauce and noodles. I boiled some water and heated up the pasta sauce. I turned around to see Loki watching me.

"Can you cook?" I asked.

"Yes," Loki said.

"Then why are you making me cook?" I asked.

"You did not ask me to cook. Besides, I enjoy watching you," he replied.

I went a little bit red at his comment.

"Well, I am a very beautiful person," I joked.

"Yes, you are," Loki said, stepping closer.

He walked towards me until our chests were touching. I braced my hands behind me on the kitchen counter.

"You are the most beautiful creature in all of the nine realms," he murmured, his eyes flicking from my eyes to my mouth.

My breathing hitched. The proximity of our bodies made me flustered. But good flustered. His eyes continued to move between my eyes and my lips.

Had his eyes always been that beautiful? They were the colour of emeralds, and so deep that I could easily get lost in them. The eyelashes that framed his eyes were gorgeous. They were raven-black and long and pretty.

He leaned in towards me and I found myself closing my eyes in anticipation. I felt his nose brush against mine-

And then the smoke alarm went off, ruining the moment. I swore as I ran around the kitchen, trying to blow the smoke away. The pasta was unfortunately unsalvageable. I decided to order pizza instead. I asked Loki if he wanted some, but he declined, saying that he was tired. He left me with my thoughts.

Had Loki been about to kiss me? The thought seemed so ridiculous, and yet it had nearly happened. He had never hinted that he'd liked me. Wait, scratch that. He had called me beautiful multiple times and called me Dear, and Darling. He didn't call Wanda or Natasha things like that. Only me.

I sat at the table, eating my pizza. If given the chance, would I kiss Loki? Definitely. One hundred percent. Then why didn't I when I had the chance? Why don't I just go to his room, right now and confess my feelings for him?

Because I'm a wuss.

But I didn't want to sit with my feelings by myself. I couldn't talk to Loki about it, but everyone else was out.

I sat there for another ten minutes before the team arrived. They told me that it was a successful mission. I tried to be happy for them, but I was just too lost in my thoughts.

Natasha noticed. Once she'd gotten changed, she invited me to hang out with her. We went to my room, and I invited Wanda as well. I knew that Natasha was going to ask me what was going on, and if we were going to talk about crushes, it might as well be a girls' night.

"So, what's going on?" Natasha asked once the door had closed and we'd all sat down on the bed.

I took a deep breath. I shielded the room from sound, knowing that Loki was a room away.

"I – really like Loki," I said. "And... we almost kissed."

Wanda squealed happily while Natasha smirked. But then her smirk faded.

"What do you mean, almost?" she asked.

I groaned.

"The smoke alarm went off because I was cooking when it happened and then he said he was tired." I huffed. "Liar. He doesn't even get tired."

Natasha's lips thinned and Wanda looked at me thoughtfully.

"But what happened?" Wanda asked.

I recounted the event, even getting a little bit breathless just remembering it. When I was finished, Wanda was leaning forward in anticipation, and Natasha's mouth was slightly open.

"I say you confront him," Natasha said.

I snorted.

"As if. I'm actually really bad at confrontation when it comes to romance. Actually, I'm just bad at romance," I said.

Natasha shook her head and Wanda cocked her head.

"It's called a leap of faith," Natasha said.

"I would rather do a leap of faith off the top of this building," I muttered.

Wanda snorted while Natasha sighed.

"Well, it's either that, or you spend the rest of your life wondering what it could have been."