46

it's almost over

it's almost over

"IT'S A GOOD IDEA, STEFAN, WHY CAN'T YOU SEE THAT?"

Athena looked at her pacing boyfriend helplessly from her spot on the end of the bed, a frown marring her pretty features.

"We can't just serve Elena on a silver platter to the crazy hybrid trying to kill her!"

She laughs incredulously. "Why not?! Why can't we do that?"

Stefan shakes his head, their voices echoing off the tall ceilings of his bedroom. "Because that's not what we do, Athena. We aren't making a deal with the devil,"

She stands, walking towards him with rising frustration. "No, that's not what you do, Stefan. I'm not trading our lives, I'm trying to save all of yours! Maybe Klaus can't kill me, maybe he won't even want to, but he can kill you in a heartbeat, okay? I'm trying to save your life and you just keep throwing yourself back into the line of fire."

"That's not what I'm doing, Athena, I'm just," He sighs, wiping a hand down his stressed features.

Athena scoffs, shaking her head at him as she chokes around the lump in her throat. "Why do you care so much about Elena, huh? Why are you so concerned about her surviving this?"

"Don't do that."

"Do what?" She throws her arms out, exasperated. "You can't sit here and tell me it's something out of the goodness of your heart. It's Elena, Stefan. It's never that simple when she's involved, and we both know it. So, tell me what the deal is, because I've been letting a lot of shit slide for the sake of keeping the peace but I am at my wit's end, Stefan,"

He scoffs. "You're at your wit's end? Really? Why is it so hard to believe that I just want to save her because it's the right thing to do?"

"The world isn't black and white, you can't just pick and choose what's right and what's wrong. You can't sit here and look at me like I'm the bad guy just because I'd rather Elena die than lose you or Damon or anyone else!"

"I don't think you're the bad guy!"

She lets out an incredulous, cold laugh. "That's funny because you've done ultimately nothing but tell me that what I'm doing is wrong. I mean, if you really see me as this horrible villain, how do you even sleep with me at night? How does it feel for your poor moral compass to be dating such a terrible person,"

Stefan shakes his head, a humorless laugh leaving his lips. "You're putting words into my mouth, Athena. Just because I'm not willing to sign her life away myself doesn't mean I'm calling you the bad guy."

"Oh, my god," She looks at him in disbelief, her face scrunching up. "You literally just said that you think I'm signing Elena's life away. I mean, if I knew you'd see it like that, I'd have already killed her!"