Chapter 18

The first cicadas had begun chirping their nightly song when Cameron pulled to a stop in front of Andra's house. He reluctantly stepped out of the car and leaned against the door inhaling deeply. The evening breeze filled his lungs with the mingled scents of honeysuckle and night-blooming jasmine doing what the drive over could not clearing his head and calming his frayed and battered nerves.

From where he stood he could see that the house was dark except for two rooms. The window on the first floor was lit by a warm flickering light that Cameron knew to be the tv in the family room. The dim light coming through the blinds on the second floor would be from Andra's desk lamp.

He could imagine her even now at her computer poring over her notes and scouring the internet for any trace of Savannah. In his mind's eye, he visualized her sitting bent over her keyboard her brow furrowed in concentration.

Sighing dejectedly at the outrageousness of the situation he found himself in he leaned back into the car to grab the small leather-bound book off the passenger seat. Inwardly he cringed at the thought of touching it again. Something about the book just felt off. Maybe it stemmed from the fact that he had witnessed the horrific creature it had once belonged to this afternoon. Whatever the reason everything about it felt almost dirty to him.

Grasping the book gingerly he slid it into the waistband of his jeans and then pulled his shirt down to hide it. He didn't want Denise or Andra for that matter to see it before he was ready. Denise asking questions would be bad for both of them. He also couldn't deny that he wanted a chance to speak with Andra before she took possession of the journal.

Starting down the walkway to the porch he steeled himself for the confrontation he knew was coming. He was fairly certain that Andra wouldn't agree with him but he had no idea where things would go from there. Worse yet he had no idea what he would do if she didn't. Did he feel strongly enough that he could walk away if it came to that? It was a question he wasn't sure he had an answer for yet.

Slowly climbing the stairs to the porch he hesitated for a split second before ringing the bell. Cameron could feel the little journal pressing against him as he waited, too cool and unnaturally smooth against the skin of his bare back. It felt alive he thought shuddering

At last, after what seemed an eternity he heard footsteps approaching the door. He was certain it must be Andra and it sounded like she was taking the stairs two at a time. His suspicions were confirmed when he heard her voice from the entryway. "I've got it, Mom!" She yelled swinging the door wide.

Andra stood there in front of him her long auburn hair hanging loosely over her small shoulders. The faint light from the entryway illuminated her from behind turning her hair the color of glowing embers. Cameron felt his resolve waver.

He had studied her face so often that even now with her features mostly obscured in shadow he could read the excitement in her eyes. He would like to think that look had more to do with him and less to do with Savannah's journal but he was far from certain that was the case.

Andra turned her face up to better see his and she gave him a wide beaming smile. He felt his heart beating in a loud erratic rhythm. She seemed genuinely happy to see him. "I've been waiting for you." She said still smiling.

A desperate need to protect her suddenly washed over him. He wanted nothing more at that moment than to scoop her up and take her away from here. Unfortunately, he was sure that it wouldn't solve anything. Andra was a huge part of the problem and he had no idea how to protect her from herself.

"Well consider your wait over." He said returning her smile. When she took his hand there was a warm electric sensation where the skin of their fingers met and it caused him to shiver a bit. Andra didn't seem to notice as she tugged him excitedly into the house. He just managed to kick the door shut behind them as she pulled him toward the stairs.