77

To the ones who brighten my days with their comments and engagements on my chapters, you guys fuel me with so much energy you won't even understand just  how much 😩😩😩❤️❤️❤️

~SOPHIA~

"I have a crush on my doctor!"

My sister screamed over the phone, her face coming alive on the screen. Her black skin was glowing and her shiny white teeth was contrasting with her pink lips. There was that glow in her eyes, that smile on her lips and that laughter in her voice.

It was the happiest I've seen her since everything went down.

And also the healthiest. She had recently been placed off chemotherapy. The prospect of getting discharged within a month was high, according to Stephen who had to put school off to stay with her. She was growing back, was steadily adding all the weight she had lost initially.

"Do you know I sometimes fake having minimal pains so he'd come to my room?" She continued with an exaggerated childish excitement, one that made laughter bubble at the pit of my stomach. "Heaven knows how much I want those hands on my body... Fuck those stethoscopes!!"

She completed, her tone set tight with mild annoyance and her face contorting into an angry one. An angry child, that was what she looked like and without meaning to, I burst into laughter, loud one, deep one, rib cracking one.

Was my sister ever going to grow up?

She has a crush on her doctor? Really?

"It's good to hear your laughter again." She said, interrupting me and my laughter trailed off at her tone that sounded so contented, so carefree, so happy. I did not even know whether she was talking about the fact I was finally laughing after everything that had happened to her health this last year or the events of the past weeks.

"So, are you finally going to tell me what happened?" She probed, sitting upright on her bed which caused her phone to shift and the medical machines in the room came on the screen for a second before it was back to her face again.

That brief glimpse of the machines was enough for me to think of the fact that my sister's life had depended on the machines in the last few months and the fact that there would always be that underlying risk for her was enough for my mood to get dampened all over again.

"Eeeh eeeh eeeeh," She got my attention by screaming that and tapping two of her fingers together at the screen. "Don't bring that kind of sad face here, hmm? Don't dampen this mood. Just tell me everything and lemme wave I away with my magic wand." She said dreamily and she even proceeded to demonstrate like she was really waving something away with a magic wand.

I smiled... Just a little.

"So, tell me, is it something about school? About your job? Kunle? Aminah? Or what? She probed further and I sighed before standing up from where I sat on one of the sofas in my room to lie down on my bed because I knew we were going to spend hours on this video call.

I wasn't wrong.

"I don't think humans are capable of that much evil and definitely not someone as young as... You said this whole thing started before she even clocked 16 and personally, I don't believe someone that young can be capable of that much evil unless they're a psychopath."