79

ADAM

I and your dad... We're getting a divorce.

It was the news I've been expecting for years, the one I've always wanted to hear for years but now that it was finally here, I don't really know what to make of it.

I was happy that mom was finally getting out of the marriage, I was happy mom would be able to finally start all over on a clean state but there were things that had floating to my ears and drifting to me room from their conversations, arguments from that night.

Dad seemed angry, very angry at mom which wasn't exactly logical. I knew dad and I knew how quick he was to act on his anger by hitting her so him holding on to his last bit of self restraint to not take his anger out on mom and for him to be restraining himself that much... It did seemed like mom was holding something over him.

Something huge because that was the only reason why he'd agree to a divorce he did not obviously want. Mom was his pride, his perfect and flawlessly beautiful wife. I knew the kind of pride he has among his friends because of her.

I couldn't even tell what mom was scheming but I knew she was scheming something because it did not even look normal. One minute, she was speaking up for dad and defending his violent behavior and the next, she was dressing up extravagantly and announcing their divorce...

It did not even normal at all.

And then, there was Kunmi on the other hand. If she wasn't running or fleeing every time she saw me, then that meant she wasn't seeing me at all.

And it had been like that ever since we resumed.

She still wasn't interested in seeing me.

"Korede, I've been standing by your door for the past 15 minutes and you did not even notice." Mom's voice jolted me out of my reverie and I looked up from where I was reading at my study desk to see her walking towards me with a glass of what I could tell was milk in her hands.

"You've been spending more time indoor these days, is it because your exams are fast approaching or is it because you've decided to punish me by abandoning me downstairs?"

What's she even saying now?

She placed the tray on my desk and she ruffled my hair ever so slightly before leaning against my desk so she was slightly facing me.

"Or have you been locking yourself up in here because you're interested in chatting with your girlfriend more than you're interested in talking to your mom?"

I couldn't help the low sigh that escaped from my mouth and mom jerked towards me at that, her eyes glittering with an excitement that was a little bit unbefitting of her in this kind of situation.

"Why? Did she break your heart? Hmm hmm?" She asked excitedly and I found myself shifting back on the chair.

"Mom,"

"Hmmm?" She answered, her stance overly eager as if she was waiting to hear an exciting gist.

"How did you get dad to agree to agree to the divorce?"