SWING SETS

"DO YOU HAVE A PLAN FOR THE FUTURE?" The woman with rectangle frames asks, her lips pressed into a thin line

No, (Y/N) thinks as she looks at her homeroom teacher, but she doesn't say it out loud. She knows that she should have some kind of plan — after all, the rest of her peers do — but she just never thought that deeply about it.

"I see that you have really good grades," she continues, scrolling through (Y/N)'s statistics. "The teachers also say that you're a pleasure to have in class, which doesn't really tell me anything. I know a couple of things about your friend group. It's great that you value popularity-"

The way she says that word, with a sour face and a snarky judgemental undertone, rubs (Y/N) the wrong way.

"-but there is more to life than that. Unlike your peers, you do lack charisma, so you might want to rethink being a news anchor or a marketing intern like Akimiya or Matsumoto if that was ever your plan. Still, that is my opinion. What was the plan you were thinking of?"

She offers (Y/N) a kind smile, but the girl can see through it. She phrased everything like it was supposed to be considerate and insightful, but (Y/N) recognizes it for what it is: maliciousness. It's very low-key and she may have just missed it if she were in any other situation, but she knows what the environment in this school is like.

Even the adults are vicious.

Maybe that is just how people are, and it won't change, no matter where she goes or how old she gets. Everyone is terrible.

"Maybe a journalist."

It's not what she wants, but it's the only answer she can think of right now.

The woman hums, scanning her mid-grade report. "You are talented in writing. But I must warn you, real-life writing is different than what we do in school. You need a narrative voice."

She's explaining even the simplest things to (Y/N), almost as if she were a child. It might just be a helpful insight this time, but the woman has already annoyed (Y/N) and this just furthers it.

"Thanks for informing me," she says.

It's all she can do. Maybe if she was Matsumoto, she would have thought of a snarky remark to make the teacher rethink her actions. If she were Akimiya, she would have outright targeted the teacher's deepest insecurities and pretended like she was being light-hearted.

But she doesn't know how to play the game. She just stays afloat somehow.

The fifteen-minute session is longer than it seems and when the torture is finally over, she steps out of the room and shuts the door behind her.

My future, huh? She does not even want to be a journalist. It was the only thought that popped into her head at that time. She only focused on the present, not on what was coming. And maybe this is why she is suffering right now.