Comfort Me - Chapter 3

Lena spent most of her night pacing back and forth, unable to sleep, her head pounding from worry. Alex Danvers finally texted her at dawn, keeping her promise: Kara was all patched up and on her way to recovery.

Lena slumped down on her couch, the pressure that had been building all night in her chest until it ached finally eased, just a little. She debated briefly with herself before she made up her mind and texted back, asking if she could see Kara, hoping that after their earlier conversation, Alex Danvers would authorize her.

Agent Danvers: She's sedated and asleep, and if you come here, she might sense you and won't rest properly. I'll call you tomorrow.

Lena felt bitterly disappointed. She wanted to be close to Kara. Then, something caught her attention.

Lena Luthor: Sense me? How, if she's sedated?

Agent Danvers: She memorizes the heartbeats of the ones she cares about. That's how she always tracks you down so fast.

Lena's heart started beating faster.

Lena Luthor: But she's sedated! Doesn't that dull her senses, her powers?

Lena needed to understand, needed to know more about Kara Danvers, about Supergirl.

This time, Alex Danvers didn't reply right away, almost as if she was considering whether it was safe to reply or not.

Agent Danvers: It does, just like the rest of us, but I know she would still sense you.

Suddenly, it felt as if her heartbeat was thundering in her ears, desperately trying to tell her something she wasn't yet ready to hear.

Lena Luthor: How?

Agent Danvers:  You should ask her. Goodnight, Lena.

Lena stared blankly at her phone for a long time, her mind reeling from what was left unsaid. Eventually, she dozed off on her couch, her phone clutched in her hand, exhaustion finally winning over.

So, it really came as a surprise when a few hours later Alex Danvers called her, wanting to know more about her new project. They talked for a long time and agreed Lena could work with the DEO as an external consultant, with limited access. It was refreshing to realize that underneath all that attitude and bravado, Kara's sister had a brilliant scientific mind. She mused briefly that if Alex Danvers ever could see past her name and give her a chance, they might have interesting conversations.

She was scheduled to go to the DEO headquarters after lunch that day. Alex picked her up and she was thrilled, not only because she finally had the chance to work with them, but mostly because she might see Kara if she asked nicely. Which she did.

Alex rolled her eyes and, after a brief meeting with the DEO's director, J'onn J'onzz, where she signed a bunch of forms and contracts, led her to the med bay. They stopped just a few feet from a glassed room, where a single person occupied a spartan, uncomfortable-looking acrylic table, a bright, yellow panel lingering above the table, covering its full extension.

Kara laid there with her eyes closed, her chest rising and falling steadily. Her Supergirl suit was gone and Lena realized that she was mostly naked, only a pair of dark boxers and sports bra to cover her, and that left very little to the imagination.

"Can I go in? Just for a few minutes?" Lena asked, never taking her eyes off Kara.

"No. She--"

"Please? I won't disturb her, I promise." Lena now turned pleading green eyes on the hapless agent. "Besides, if she can feel my heartbeat, she already knows I'm here."