Twenty five

"Erin, don't come and visit mom," Meredith said into the phone as soon as Erin picked up.

"Why?" Erin asked.

"She's lucid. She remembers everything except the last five years. So..." Meredith trailed off. Erin bit her lip, wincing as the cut split again. That had been a gift from Rob the night before.

It had been a week since he knocked her out and Erin's stomach was black and blue. She was sure she'd broken a rib but she was taking painkillers and icing it every chance she got so she knew she would be fine. She had managed to take the glass out of her face and cover the wounds with makeup. Nobody had even noticed and Erin was glad.

Everyone had been so busy getting the Denny Duquette Free Clinic onto it's feet, the battle over chief had been driving everyone insane and now Ellis being lucid was the icing on the cake.

"So I'm back to being the disowned disgrace. Thanks for the warning," Erin hung up the phone and wiped her bleeding lip. She sighed and rubbed her face, wincing as she rubbed over the bruise under her eye. That was also covered by makeup but she didn't know how much longer she could keep doing this. It was fooling people but all she wanted was for people to notice. She couldn't tell anyone but if someone asked, that was a way out.

Addison had asked twice the week before. But she'd barely had time to look at Erin between surgeries and patients and Erin was both glad and disappointed. She was getting bad again and she needed a way out. She just couldn't make one herself. It was partly because she was terrified of what Rob would do, but also because she didn't want anyone to see her like this.

She was Erin Grey, Meredith's baby sister. She was disowned by her mother, cheated on by her boyfriend, abandoned by her father. Her baby had died and she had panic attacks when she was confronted by people she could not be around. She only had Meredith and everybody knew that. Everybody treated her like a baby and Erin felt like she was shattered glass on the floor, waiting for someone, anyone, to notice and clean up the mess she was in.

This would destroy everyone. This would make them see Erin for what she was; weak. That was how she felt. She couldn't be brave and strong when she didn't feel safe in her own home. She couldn't feel brave and strong when she couldn't sleep and refused to scrub in on surgeries because of the bruises covering her body. Rob was careless and Erin hated it.

She hated everything and all she wanted, all she needed, was a way out. She didn't care what way out it was. She just needed one chance to make everything stop and then it would be okay.

She just needed a way out.

"Mom's in the hospital. You need to come, even if you can't see her. I don't know what's wrong but I think it's serious. This might be the end and I want you to have the chance to say goodbye, if you want it," Meredith said into the phone an hour later.

"I'll be there in five," Erin ended the call. She pulled on some jeans and a hoodie, keeping her hair down to hide the bruise at the back of her neck.

She grabbed her things and ran downstairs, walking to the hospital as Meredith had taken the car. She headed inside and up to Ellis' ward.

"Erin, I heard about your mother. I know you're due to start in an hour but don't worry about it. You need to be with her," Richard stepped in front of Erin, sat at the nurses station with a chocolate milkshake.

"She hates me again so I don't need to be with her. The second she sees me, she'll throw a fit. Meredith is probably gonna try and talk to her but she won't listen. She never listened and she's not starting now she's lucid," Erin rolled her eyes.