Basis of the appeal

The ride to London is much further than I recall it being. Perhaps that is because I have so much less energy now that I have a baby inside my stomach. I still can hardly believe that that is the truth, I never imagined it should happen so quickly and I should be so happy about it. I could not be happier and it felt so wonderful. "Will we stay with your family whilst we are there, or do you want to find an inn?"

"I thought we shall stay with my family, darling. I am sure Eloise shall want to talk to you as much as she possibly can and it shall be nice for you to be so close to your family. Or, Pen, I suppose." He sits by the side of me, squeezing my hand. He seems a little off. I could not explain it, he has not said anything or done anything to suggest so but I can tell. I can tell there was something in that letter that is playing on his mind. "How long do you want to stay for? A couple of days?"

"Why? Are you worried you did not pack enough trousers?" I smile at him, hoping that maybe I shall be able to help him relax enough that he shall tell me what that letter contained. So, I run my hand along his thigh and smile, looking up at him. "Is there anything else you should like to do whilst we are in London?"

"I cannot think of much. As you said, get yourself some new dresses perhaps. I can visit the modiste for you, I am sure my mother shall want to take you tea and such, and with all you shall have to do with your family... I am sure you shall not have too much time on your hands." He smiles but still does not make eye contact with me. "I shall do that as soon as we arrive."

"The first thing you shall do when we arrive is visit the modiste?" I raise an eyebrow and continue to run my hands along his leg. "You do not wish to see your own mother? Plus how shall you know what size I am, it changes all the time so Madame Delacroix will not have any idea of my true measurements. I have not seen her recently. You have of course have seen her more recently than myself, since the entire scandal was based off such!" I hesitate for a moment, looking at him to see whether this provokes any kind of reaction but it does not. He does not say a word, and so I scowl. "You are not speaking to me now?"

"I am sorry. I am sorry, darling. I am. I am just feeling a little distracted. This is all going to be so... different. I am used to spending the days only with you, doing whatever it is we please and doing it exactly when it is we should like to do it. I cannot believe I shall have to return home and be around all of my siblings once again." This is when he turns down to look at me, his eyes moving and narrowing on my hand. "Is there something else?"

"Nothing else at all. I am also worried, it has been only a few weeks, maybe months at most, and I feel as though I am unsure how to act around anyone other than you. I am sure we shall remember as soon as we arrive, you needn't worry." I push up so that I may kiss his lips, and I jolt forward ever so slightly as the carriage stops without warning. "We are in London already! I must admit I thought it should take much longer."

"Aubrey hall is not far whatsoever. It feels as though it is half way across the world though, does it not? Thus the basis of the appeal." He stands up and jumps from the carriage, taking my hand and looking at the Bridgerton home with a strange look on his face that I have never seen before. "We shall get you all settled in at home and then we shall go and see your mother and sisters. Or should you like to go and see them first?"

"I should most definitely like to see your family first but I feel as though it is the best thing for me to see my own."

"My thoughts exactly, my darling. I shall go and... I... shall see if Colin shall like to accompany me to the town. You take as long as you need, darling. I love you." He takes my hand and kisses the back of it, smiling to his eyes but it feels forced. "I shall see you soon."

"I hope so. I love you also." I stand on my tip toes so that I might kiss his lips, leaning away from him and walking towards my old home. I am slightly worried of the way he is acting, I have never seen him seem nervous or concerned, he is the most easygoing man I have ever had the pleasure of meeting. He does not become stressed, it is so out of character. I suppose I must take his word for it, and I must believe that it is truly because he is worried about having come home. I must make sure that he feels as relaxed as possible when I return back to the bridgerton home, perhaps it shall be nice if I find some sweets or such to cheer him up. I wish more than anything for him to only ever feel happy.

I step into my home, my old home, and I am greeted instantly by Penelope who is quick to wrap her arms around me and begin to sob. "Oh Peaches I am so glad you are home! It has been ever so awful since you left and since... well... you must come and talk with me, I have so much I must tell you!" She takes my hands and attempts to guide me up the stairs but we are quickly stopped by my mother, who emerges unseen from the staircase and stands in our way. "Oh! Mama!"

"Peaches. You have come home. I must talk to you in the study. Alone." She narrows her eyes a little and does not allow Penelope to take me any further, instead she now grips my wrist, and pulls me into the study without saying anything more. "Take a seat." I do, sitting across from her and raising an eyebrow as she crosses her arms across her chest, with her most serious face on her. "Your father has died and... this means that the Featherington estate is... well, I do not know who it shall go to. I am not sure as of yet. But it does mean that we do not have any money, I cannot pay off the modiste and I cannot pay off the help and I am sure that very soon we shall not be able to eat. We have a certain lifestyle that I wish to maintain and the girls... they cannot know what has happened. They cannot know how much financial trouble we are truly in. I have written to you and asked for your assistance multiple times and I have written to your husband as well. I would not ask if I did not feel as though I absolutely must. Surely you should know my pride would not allow such."

"Why does father's death have anything to do with your money?" I shake my head a little, watching her and crossing my arms as tightly across my chest as she has. "You should not have written to Benedict. He does not control our money anyway, you must know that we must ask Anthony for any grant as big as what you were asking!"

"Your father was killed because of what he owed to people! He had spent all of our money on gambling and drinking and whatever else, women too most likely, I do not have a penny, Peaches. We have lost everything and I do not know where else I shall turn. I would not ask if it was not urgent." She breathes in and as she does, her breath catches as though she might cry. "I am begging you, Peaches. You must find a way to help me, you simply must. Think of Pen if not myself, I know you do not care for me so but I am sure you still care for your sister. Do not let our family name become anymore disgraced. I am begging you, speak to Anthony, do whatever you can. Please, Peaches."

"Fine."