(26) From Inside the Frame

Every day you saw King Ahkmenrah.

Key word: saw

You saw the pharaoh every day, and every day you fell deeper in love with him. He had a handsome face, and was incredibly compassionate. You saw the way he cared for others and would occasionally even see him laugh. You didn't know what his laugh sounded like, but wanted to find out. You desperately wanted to talk to him but couldn't. Why? Because you were just a painting. Well, stuck inside a painting. You were a teenage girl in a painting of the Oregon  trail. You stood next to your mother who walked beside your family's covered wagon, two ox pulling it along the grassy field. You always saw the parties and bustle of the museum outside, but you were never allowed to leave the painting. Your parents wouldn't let you. They said that nobody was allowed to leave because it was much too dangerous. Typical.

On another boring old day, you untied your (fc) bonnet from your head, to let your hair blow in the breeze. You watched as the wind blew blades of grass and small flower petals across the countryside, and out of the rectangle window that lead into the museum. You observed it in awe and watched as the grass left the window and blew into a passing lion's fur.

The lion jerked its head to the painting, but calmed down and continued walking. You breath a sigh of relief, but tilt your head in curiosity. You desperately wanted to leave. Nobody would care if you were gone for a night...right?

You slowly glance at your bonnet, and in the next gust of wind, release your grip from the fabric, letting it blow towards the window. You quickly run up to your mother, and tug on her sleeve. "Mother, I accidentally lost my bonnet to the wind. It blew towards the window, may I go fetch it? I'll be quick." You say.

Your mother sighs and rubs her temples. "I suppose. Just be careful, daisy." She says, using your pet name.

"Of course." You say, already running off.

You slow down as you approach the window. You slowly put your hand up to the frame separating you and the outside world. "Don't turn back now, (yn)." You mumble, taking a deep breath.

Picking up your bonnet and securing it around your head, you don't give it a second thought as you leap through the barrier.

You jump into the museum and tumble down onto the floor, groaning as your ankle bends in an abnormal direction. You hiss in pain, quickly grip your ankle nervously biting your lip as it already begins swelling. You sigh, annoyed that your mom was slightly right when she said it was dangerous.

You look around and see the railing overlooking the museum lobby. Scooting yourself over to it, trying not to put any weight on your ankle, you grip onto the railing, and pull yourself up. Suddenly, you accidentally lean on your right ankle, and let out a Yelp in pain. You fall back, and into someone's arms.

"Are you alright?"

You look up to see King Ahkmenrah looking down at you, a look of concern on his face.
Your cheeks instantly turn pink. "I'm f-fine." You squeak.

You quickly try to stand up and your own, but wince in pain. "Never mind." You say, leaning back into Ahkmenrah for support.

"What's hurt?" He asks, gently picking you up bridal style.

You stare into his bright beautiful eyes. "I t-think I sprained my ankle." You softly say.

"I'll take you downstairs. I think I know of someone who can help. What is your name?"

"(Yn)"

"Well (yn), it's a pleasure to meet you." He says. "I am King Ahkmenrah."

"The pleasure is all mine." You gently smile.

The two of you stare into each other's eyes for a few moments before Ahkmenrah clears his throat. "Shall we get your ankle looked at?"

"Oh..right." You chuckle.

Ahkmenrah carries you down the stairs, Careful to keep you securely held in his arms. You like the feeling of being held close to him, and feel safe in his strong grasp.

"So who are you taking me to?" You ask, trying to break the silence.

"A woman named Sacajawea. She's very skilled with healing. I once witnessed her put Theodore Roosevelt back together after he was run over by a carriage and split in two." The pharaoh looks down at you and sees your confused expression. "Don't think too hard about it."

The pharaoh carries you into a room full of animals and plants. In the center is a woman with copper skin, black braids, and a tan dress made out of animal skin. He rushes up to the woman. "Sacajawea, I need your help."

She looks up at him. Sacajawea has a calm but caring face. "Ahkmenrah? What is wrong?"

"My friend (yn) needs help. I believe she sprained her ankle." He says, gently setting you down.

"May I take a look?" She asks.

You nod and slide off your boot and white stockings. Sacajawea gently raises your foot and examines your swollen ankle. "What were you doing that caused it to sprain like this?" She asks, not looking up from your ankle.

"Well I'm actually a painting from upstairs. The one of the Oregon Trail. I got tired of the same routine in the painting every day, so I decided to jump out and into the museum. I must've landed funny upon impact, though." You explain.

"That was very brave of you." Ahkmenrah compliments.

You feel your cheeks heat up once again. "Thankyou." You say.

A few minutes later, Sacajawea finishes patching up your leg, and sends you on your way. It still hurt to much to walk on, so Ahkmenrah carried you again, much to your pleasure.

"We still have some time before the sun rises. Would you like me to give you a short tour of the museum? Well, that is if you feel up to it." Ahkmenrah suggests.

You think about how worried your parents might be, but you don't want this amazing night to end. Even if the majority of it was you being it pain from your ankle. "Are you able to carry me for that long? I don't want to wear you out."

"Trust me, you're light as a feather." He says with a smile.

For the next hour Ahkmenrah carries you around the museum, showing you the exhibits, and introduces you to his friends. You loved meeting them because they were all so warm and welcoming. Back in the painting you were the only kid your age. Everyone else was just a bunch of prim and proper adults. You sigh in annoyance.

"(Yn)? What's wrong?" Ahkmenrah asks, looking down at you.

"Oh nothing. I've just been having the best night ever. The world outside of the picture frame is incredible! I can't believe I've been missing it for all these years. I really don't want to go back..." you say.

Ahkmenrah is silent for a moment. "You know, I could always come and get you at the start of each night. That way you wouldn't hurt yourself on the fall down." He suggests.

"That might actually work...but what about my parents? They don't think I can handle myself." You look over at your ankle. "But, hey, maybe they're right."

"How old are you?"

"I'm seventeen."

"See? You're not just some little girl. Your parents should realize that. It's your life, and you should be allowed to do with it what you'd like." He states.

"You know what...you're right!"

Just as you both arrive back to your painting, you notice the young pharaoh looking a bit sad.

"I'll see you tomorrow?" You ask.

His face lights up. "Of course."

You slowly lean up and cup his cheek in your hand, and peck his opposite cheek. "Thankyou, Ahkmenrah. For everything." You softly say.

"Call me Ahk." Ahkmenrah says, his cheeks turning pink.

He slowly and gently lifts you up to the painting, and you climb inside. You wave to Ahk from inside. He waves back and you smile. You turn around and run back to your parents, your ankle suddenly healing.

You were ready to talk to your parents, and you were ready to see Ahk again.