one

"𝑨 𝒓𝒖𝒔𝒉 𝒂𝒕 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒃𝒆𝒈𝒊𝒏𝒏𝒊𝒏𝒈, 𝑰 𝒈𝒆𝒕 𝒄𝒂𝒖𝒈𝒉𝒕 𝒖𝒑 𝒋𝒖𝒔𝒕 𝒇𝒐𝒓 𝒂 𝒎𝒊𝒏𝒖𝒕𝒆,"

chapter one: 1289 words

"HEY SHOULDERS BACK LIA," SIMON SCOLDED me and I rolled my eyes in return. He let go of Daphne's hand, reached across the carriage and swatted my knee, "You know I do not care how you sit, but Lady Danbury sure will,"

"I do think she will too busy with her new grandson to notice if my posture is slightly hunched," I retorted back at him, a glint of annoyance in my tone. He shook his head and looked back out the window.

"Trust me, Lia she is expecting you to come home as the perfect refined picture of a lady ready to marry," I opened my mouth to cut him off, "- and yes I know you do not wish to court anyone this season but Lady Danbury will most definitely want you to,"

"As much as I dislike to agree with the Duke of Hastings," Daphne made a face at Simon, "He does have a point about Lady Danbury," in her arms Xander cooed in his sleep.

"That's right Xander, daddy is right," Simon's hand returned to his wife's as he smiled down at his son.

I pressed my lips together and looked down at my hands placed in my lap. I hoped they could not see how truly terrified I was to be returning to my early childhood home. Not only that, I was about to face the brunt of London's high society, (Daph had prepared me for the rumours, the questions, and the suitors).

My thoughts came to a halt as I glanced at the scenery outside the carriage that had changed from fields and pastures to cobblestone and bricks. Shops lined the street, modistes, jewellers, goldsmiths, bookshops and lending libraries. I couldn't help but admire the stature of every individual house and shop. Each yard was filled with colourful flowers in full bloom, some mossy statues, children running and giggling.

I looked over at Simon whose eyes were filled with child-like wonder. I tried to stifle a giggle but failed when he mouthed "hello" to one of the children outside. His eyes flitted over to where I was trying to conceal laughter behind my hand, and he chuckled.

"I forgot how much I missed being in town," he sighed. I clearly didn't look convinced because Daphne chimed in.

"You see more than just you me and Simon every day Lia, it's spectacular," my cousin's wife, ever the social butterfly, was being overdramatic.

"Ah yes, the constant sight of you and I must be killing her," Simon remarked and I nearly said something, but he looked happy so I decided to bite back the smartass comeback I had on the tip of my tongue. He threw me a glance saying I set myself up for that and you're going to let me have it? I returned a look saying yes so that you won't see my next comment coming.

"My Lord we are approaching Grosvenor Square," the driver's voice was muffled, but clear enough. I felt my stomach tighten slightly, but I pushed the feeling away and tried to focus on something else.

Closing my eyes I imagined myself in the gardens back home, under the night sky. Sitting on the stone bench beside the yellow rose bushes, a book in my hands, being distracted ever so often when a firefly flitted past my vision. 

"No way-," Simon muttered under his breath, bringing me back to reality, "stop the carriage," he ordered. The carriage came to an abrupt halt, nearly throwing me from my seat and waking baby Xander. Daphne started shushing and rocking him, while Simon was fixated on a group of boys that were now walking towards our carriage.

"Wh-," I started.

"Oh my goodness," Daph interrupted as she looked out the window and handed Xander to Simon. The driver opened the door and offered her his hand, which she took and sprinted (in a very un-Daphne way) towards a trio of boys.

Following her out, I gathered up my skirts and took his hand, only letting go when I realized how bright it was outside. I started to squint before I heard the voice of my governess in the back of my mind telling me that a lady never squints. I forced a smile and tried to keep my face natural otherwise. 

"Daph you're here!" one of the boys tackled her in a hug and I realized they were her brothers.

Benedict, the one who was currently hugging her, and I had met during the winter season last year.  He had come for a quick visit with his mother and two youngest siblings Hyacinth and Gregory.

The other two I could only assume were Colin and Anthony.  Colin had been away in Greece when Benedict had visited and Anthony was the Viscount of the Bridgerton house and preferred to remain at home. The one that was smiling ear to ear must have been Colin, for Simon told me that Anthony was more of the stoic type. 

"How are you feeling sister?" Colin asked as Benedict released her.

"Fairly exhausted Colin, Lord Alexander does not like to sleep at night," Daphne replied, sounding tired but with a motherly smile on her face. She seemed to remember at that point that I was there, "This is the Duke's cousin and one of my dearest friends, Miss Aurelia Windsor," 

"It is a fine thing to see you again Miss Windsor," Benedict smiled at me. 

"My sister has written many good things about you," Colin chimed in. 

Anthony only mildly smiled at me before turning his attention back to Daph. 

"Where is the Duke?" he asked as he gave his sister a brief hug.

"He is calming down his son," Simon said from behind me. Daph took Xander from him and began introducing him to her older brothers.

I found it strange to see three men oohing and ahhing over a baby who wasn't their own. Colin was sticking out his tongue at the boy and Benedict was tickling his feet. Even Anthony's face turned into a smile when Daphne let him hold Xander. 

I took a couple of steps back from the group to let them have their time together. They just looked so happy as a family, being together and I didn't want to ruin the moment.

 It was Benedict that noticed me standing off to the side and walked over to me.

"You don't look overjoyed despite your upcoming debut Lady Windsor," he quipped.

"No Mister Bridgerton I-" I started before he cut me off.

"Call me Benedict,"

"Benedict then, I am not overjoyed or even slightly excited for my debut," I scoffed and rolled my eyes. A lady NEVER rolls her eyes. I could practically see my governess seething with rage at my comment, despite her even being present. 

"Ahh I do believe you will like my sister Eloise then," he chuckled, "she, much like you, is dreading her coming out," the second part was said more in a whispering tone. 

Eloise Bridgerton. I had heard many things about her from Daphne, Simon, Daphne's maid Rose,  Violet Bridgerton, even Hyacinth and Gregory had their own opinions.  From what I gathered she was smart, the quick-witted, stubborn type.  Gregory told me she once put a frog in his bed after he stole the last muffin from the breakfast table.  

"Yes," I said smiling, "I do believe we will get along just fine,"

I'm going to try and post chapter two either tomorrow or the day after.