five

∘₊✧──────✧₊∘

"𝑰 𝒏𝒆𝒗𝒆𝒓 𝒌𝒏𝒆𝒘 𝒂𝒏𝒚𝒃𝒐𝒅𝒚 '𝒕𝒊𝒍 𝑰 𝒌𝒏𝒆𝒘 𝒚𝒐𝒖,"

∘₊✧──────✧₊∘

chapter four: 1388 words

I HAD PRAYED FOR RAIN. Unfortunately, the people upstairs decided to ignore me and make the sun shine high in the sky on the day of my debut.

Daphne and Ellie had spent the entire morning dressing me, fussing over my hair, making my cheeks the pinkest I had ever seen them and all around stressing me out.  Now I was alone in my room, staring at the stranger in the mirror that was going to be presented to the queen.

"Aurelia, are you coming?" Francesca popped her head into the room, "Oh Lia you look stunning!" she gushed.

"Thanks, I feel ridiculous," I forced a smile.  She interlocked her arm with mine and led me downstairs.

"You really mustn't worry Lia, I'm sure the Queen will love you," Francesca actually sounded convinced, but once again she was an optimist.

"I do hope you're right, otherwise La-," I started to say, but stopped.

That was when I saw her.

Maybe it was the fact that I was seeing her hair up for the first time, or perhaps it was the way the dress fit her.  Violet stood behind her, a smile on her face, looking incredibly proud of her second daughter.  Eloise would surely follow in her sister's footsteps and be the seasons incomparable.

Her eyes met mine, and I saw how nervous she was.

"Oh Aurelia dear, you look wonderful," Violet said in a motherly tone, and for once I didn't hate that she pitied me, "you look just like your mother did," her voice soft.  I felt my eyes start to water and smiled at Violet.

"You, don't look angry," I commented, to ease Eloise's nerves and my tears.

"It's all in the pink on my cheeks," Eloise said with mild sarcasm, but I could see she was grateful, "you," her eyes made their way up my body, "Uhm,"